We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

I am coming back into KL for a week after a long stay in Vietnam and have having great difficulty with hotel reviews.

I find a suitable hotel (high 3 star, low 4) on agoda, review sounds good enough, mainly happy campers with a few getting upset over seemingly trivial matters, and then check here and all of a sudden we have cockroaches, bed bugs, theft, dirt dirt and more dirt. for the same hotel

What to do, who to believe.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

And is it just me or do I get the impression that the hotels in KL are being run into the ground?

Edited: 18 February 2011, 00:42
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Anybody can masquerade as a guest and write a review. A disgruntled person with an axe to grind with the hotel, the hotel's competitor across the street, even the hotel operator himself, his aunt and their cousin. So take reviews with a pinch of salt.

Read all the reviews, disregard 20% of the overly negative or overly positive reviews and you may get a better picture of the hotel from the remainder of the reviews.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Even in Tripadvisor, I have come across conflicting comments on the same hotel.

I guess it all depends on which part of the hotel the reviewer has stayed in. For example, my family stayed in a certain hotel at Bukit Bintang back in June 2010, and it was one of the worst ever experiences ever. When I shared my experience on Tripadvisor, there were others who came defending the hotel. Turns out they were staying in the high class premier rooms! So of course they had the much better experience.

Personally, I believe in the adage "if it's too good to be true, it always is!"

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Interesting point made by Jadamros about masqueraders posting rubbish reviews.

Just had a look at agoda FAQ and it says

"Who writes our Agoda reviews?

Our reviews are 100% legitimate. Every time an Agoda customer checks out of a hotel we send them an email, asking for a review of their stay. This is the only way a review can be submitted. Every review must then be approved by our content team before being posted on the Agoda website. Therefore, unlike many other travel sites, ALL Agoda reviews are certified and genuine. Good or bad, and provided the review is within our standards (no sexist, racist or prejudiced content), we provide real customer experiences at all our hotels."

So, on that note I would hope that the reviews there are more accurate.

But I still need to come here to get "real" pictures of the rooms

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Hi,

I personally never believe the blurbs on Agoda's hotel sites. They are always glowing.

WRT traveler reviews, they are a good way to gauge the general impression of the hotel. Discount reviews that are too good and those that are too bad. The truth is usually something in the middle. LOL

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,245 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Always read all reviews with a bit of a pinch of salt.

A guide on TA is the number of posts, and previous reviews the poster has already done. A person who only has 1 review to their name 'might' not be as genuine as someone with 30 to their name.

No reviews can be 100%, you just have to figure if what is said does impact on you, and also check the way it is written. Someone who says they are from UK and can barely string a sentence just might not be genuine.

I have stayed at hotels that were getting a right panning and could not fault them! So go figure?

Have fun!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

I had the same issue when I was trying to book my accommodation online.

However, in the end, I decided to take into account the reviews which have both pros and cons. Because if I have some bad/good experience and am very uspet/happy about it, my review might sound exaggerated.

Sometime it is good to know some bad reviews so I can prepare for the worst and don't expect too much. In this way, it minimises disappointments. (and it might turn out alright? You'll never know till you are there!)

To me, cleaness comes first over customer service! So as long as my room is clean, I don't care that much about grumpy hotel staff or the size of my room and a swimming pool. Depending on what you care the most, the bad review can be trustworthy.

Good luck and have fun ;-)

Edited: 18 February 2011, 09:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Recently I stayed in No 1 hotel on Tripadvisor in Cambodia and I was not happy with this hotel. I agree with everyone here that it is wise not to trust the reviews of single posters and only reviews of the ones with few reviews. Also you have to take in account that some people are generally critical and you can look at their past posting history of complaints.

Also it is good to know some of the negative things about the hotel to be prepared.

I do not trust Agoda even more then Tripadvisor because at least with tripadvisor you can write to people and find out more about the hotel by posting on here.

London, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

I have written several reviews for Agoda and have since noticed that they have been changed from what I wrote - so basically their FAQs are crap.

For example I said that one hotel was a bland chain with no character and to avoid the breakfast (among other things), they published: It's clean and feels secure, located quite centrally

Service was quite slow and staff sometimes struggled with english

Don't believe Agoda's reviews - they change them!

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

Wow, that is some claim Hanna, i would take issue with them for doing that to anything I had written.

Generally the comments on trip advisor are much more detailed than Agoda, I think Agoda provides some incentive if you write a review so no doubt some people wouldn't really care what they wrote. Even though the reviews here are not 100% genuine you can usually get some idea of what to expect. The photos that are often added speak for themselves.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Advisor Hotel Reviews Vs Agoda

TM says (and I agree!) "A guide on TA is the number of posts, and previous reviews the poster has already done. A person who only has 1 review to their name 'might' not be as genuine as someone with 30 to their name."

- Hannahhanj is a 1st time poster?!