We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batu caves in AM or PM?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Batu caves in AM or PM?

I'm trying to plan our two days in KL at the start of Sept and one day in KL at the end of Sept.

Is it better to visit Batu caves in the AM -go first thing- or in the PM. We will be staying near the LRT Pasar Seni station. IIRC we just take the train to the last stop and then we'll be at the caves.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

Go in the morning.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

yes, definitely in the morning..much cooler

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

Hi

Morning will be a bit cooler, although might not feel it if you climb the steps!! If you find nearest station to your starting point, then on the first map link it the stations are shown up to Sentrul, but the line has been extended, and that is shown on the second link . . . malaysiaexpat.com/resources/…transit_map.pdf en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentul-Port_Klang_Route

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

OK I must be map illiterate. I see Pasar Seni on both maps and Batu Caves on the second map/link. But I still don't see the connection between the two.

Get on at Pasar Seni, go to KL Sentral and then switch trains?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,020 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

Take the LRT on the Kelana Jaya line from Pasar Seni to KL Sentral.

At KL Sentral, exit the LRT station and look for the KTM Komuter station. Then take the sentul bound KTM Komuter train from KL Sentral to Batu Caves.

This map is helpful:

http://www.myrapid.com.my/rail/routes

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

Aha...green light goes off! Thanks :)

Along this route are any of the other KL situated? We could do Batu caves in the AM and then on our way back something else?

Or maybe batu caves in AM and then see Petronas Towers from outside at dusk. Maybe even go up the Menara Tower for the view prior to that? I've read mixed reviews about the worthiness of standing in line for a ticket to go up the towers so I think we will just see them from outside or from Menara.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,020 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

Okay, train stations and places of interests nearby:

1) Pasar Seni is the Malay word for Art Market, and opposite the Pasar Seni LRT station is the Central Market for which the station is name after. It was the original wet market serving Kuala Lumpur in the old days, but now it mostly sells souvenirs and stuff.

2) KL Sentral is the main train terminal serving Kuala Lumpur. Adjacent to the terminal is the enclave called Brickfields, also known as Little India. If you are looking for indian food, can't go wrong here.

3) Kuala Lumpur station is worth a stop. It was the original railway station before it was moved to KL Sentral. Housed in a moorish style building designed by A.R.Hubback it was completed in 1910 and is recognised as one of the architectural landmarks of KL. Opposite the road is the National Mosque, which can be visited when prayers are not in session and behind the National Mosque is the Islamic Civilisation Museum. And if you continue on, you can visit the Bird Park, Butterfly Park, and the Lake Gardens beyond.

If you walk along the main road past the National Mosque, you will reach Dataran Merdeka or Independence Square where the other moorish architectural landmark the Sultan Abdul Samad building is, as well as the Tudor influenced Royal Selangor Club building.

If you cross the road and walk left from the Kuala Lumpur Station, you will reach the National Museum and the Planetarium behind it across the pedestrian bridge.

Note: You can also walk to Kuala Lumpur station from Pasar Seni without the need to go to KL Sentral.

4) Bank Negara station - nothing much here, but you can walk across the pedestrian bridge to the other side over kuching road and the river where you will find the SOGO departmental store.

5) PUTRA station - again nothing much here. A short walk away is an oldish mall called, well, The Mall. Used to be popular in its heyday, but now due for a makeover.

The four stations after this just lead to suburbs, so head direct to the final stop Batu Caves.

Have fun.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 18:50
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

So helpful, thanks!

-Central Market we will surely chec k out during our stay as we are staying near Pasar Seni at Matahari Lodge (I blew my cover....we are budget travellers lol)

-Little India sounds cool! Is there good shopping/markets to be had? Might be worth it for lunch and people watching alone

-National Mosque/Bird Park/Butterfly Park/Lake Gardens....are thse all within walking distance of the KL station? That would be great!

I'm thinking....hit up Batu Caves first thing in the am after breakfast. On our way back, hop off at KL Station....check out National mosque, bird and butterfly parks, lake gardens and perhaps the buildings you mentioned (prob give the museum and planetarium a miss)

-Then walk back to Pasar Seni via Little India.

Can this be done on foot? Is the walking route fairly straightfoward?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

I hope you are confused between KL Sentral Station and Kuala Lumpur Railway Station which are 2 entirely different buildings.

From the Pasar Seni station, it is possible to walk to Kuala Lumpur Railway Station (past the turnstiles, down the escalaror, at road level - cross the road and turn left). Then National Mosque, Bird Park etc as per Jadamros.

I would however, not walk to the National Museum, there's essentially no pedestrian path and you would be walking along the roads; personally I would give it a miss as you've planned.

What you planned is doable but depends on your level of fitness i think. For me (couch potato), it would be too tiring to be enjoyable.

gold coast
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Batu caves in AM or PM?

how long is the train ride from kl sentral to batu caves?