We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Customs

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Clearing Customs

In the past we have travelled through KL with Air Asia and are familiar with the idea of going through customs at the LCCT. This time we are flying from Perth to Phuket with Malaysian Airlines and have a 6 hour stopover on the way back.

Are we able to go through customs at the airport and will there be a departure/arrival tax if we do? Or do we have to remain in transit?

Are there some suggestions of what to do during our 6 hours as we haven't been to the main airport before?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Customs

I don't think there is any taxes to pay to go out as we have never had to pay anything (think its all in your ticket anyway). We have left the airport during transit, you can find lockers in the arrival hall and the last time we used them I think it was about $5MYR per hour, was able to fit 3 backpacks in them so we weren't carrying them with us. The easiest and quickest way (and you know it is on time) was to pay $35MYR each way with the KL Express - only takes 28mins. We then just caught the train from KL Sentral to Pasar Seni (chinatown/market area) which only takes a couple of minutes and wandered around. You could do this with the shopping area Bukit Bitang by walking out KL Sentral and taking the mono-rail to there. Lots of shops. I think you could probably have up to 3hrs to wander around, me I like to say 2hrs off time to get out, get back etc and then 1hr so you don't stress ;)

If you decide to stay at the airport, its a nice airport and one of my favourites but I would struggle with 6hrs there............there are airside airport hotels if you want but you probably wont, there is a premium lounge that you can pay to go in to - they have showers/snacks etc - there isn't really enough shops to take up 6hrs.

So if it was me I would go in to KL - look online for a train/monorail map and go from there. Also, if you only decide to go to KL Sentral there are a few shops there as well as one of our favourites a food place called Chicken Rice, the curry with chicken rice is delicious and so cheap.

Oh and just to add there is a blind massage place near KL Sentral if that interests you - just put it in search as there has been a very helpful post recently

Edited: 27 August 2011, 13:18
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,222 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Customs

Hi

As questions your like yours get asked all the time, there is a top quesiton / FAQ to help ---->

If you look at FAQ Airport Long transits and FAQ Airport to KL City you will find lots of really great information. Also FAQ Airport transfers is worth reading.

You can clear immigration and customs if you want, and you don't have to remain in transit. There are no additional taxes to pay, you will have paid it all on your ticket.

However! Yes, however, you only have 6 hours! You really do not have sufficent time to really get into Kuala Lumpur.

Even with not having to collect your bags, it will still take around 45-60mins to clear immigration.

Then it will take around 1 hour to get to the city (even if you go by the train which does take 28 mins you have to catch the 'next' train and then get from there to where you want to go)

It will take around 1 hour to get back form the city to the airport.

You will have to be at the airport around 1 hour before you flight leaves to ensure that you get to the gate on time.

So your 6 hours only gives you 2 hours in the city!

Have fun and travel safe!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,222 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Customs

PS you may also find FAQ Transiting at KUL KLIA a useful read!

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Customs

Thanks for your help guys. It is so easy (and comfortable) to get into KL from the airport and that is to their credit but it is a relatively long journey and you are right about the limited time.

5. Re: Clearing Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:16