We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uncertain.

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
uncertain.

We are a middle-aged couple who are very young at heart (and in great health). We have decided to go to New Zealand mid-Jan. to end of Feb. The stop off is the problem. We have covered Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok. We were thinking that all that remains from the UK is really Kuala Lumpar. We have covered Australia and do not want to stop off in LA. We want to stop off about half way to New Zealand. The problem is that the stop off in KL is costing around £600 more for some reason (between the two of us). I am not sure that KL is really a place that I would enjoy. We do not like shopping. We enjoy restaurants, bars and during the day parkland and monuments etc...We did not enjoy Hong Kong too much. We also enjoy some open space and the odd museum. I have not booked yet as i am wondering if KL is really for us and perhaps just stop off again at Bangkok which is a fascinating place. So what has Kl to offer except for shopping. We would be stopping for three days each way. This makes it a bit less expensive than choosing two different cities. But I nornally hate to visit a city twice as my time is running out (age wise)! Too much still to see.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uncertain.

Hi there brianpolo

I don't rate KL on the same level interest wise as Bangkok, however it does have more to it than just shopping. It has some good restaurants and bars and also some decent green areas (such as the Lake Gardens) which is also close to an area with a few museums, the bird park and the orchid garden.

Sights wise you've also got the KL tower and Petronas Towers - (better view of the city from KL tower in my opinion) then there is Merdeka Square and the central market. There are further things to see and do, which you can find in the 'things to do' section top left of the page. The cities range of sights isn't on the same level as Bangkok, but few cities in South East Asia are!

Its also a very different place to Hong Kong - its population being much smaller - around 2 million or so, but the city centre, or at least the interesting part is not that extensive anyway. Some of it can be covered on foot, for the rest you can use the monorail/metro or the occasional taxi.

Spending 3 days each way might be too much time however - it depends how busy you want to be each day. Personally i could easily spend a week in KL and not get bored. You could also potentially do a day trip to Melaka which takes a couple of hours to reach and is very historical - and also visit Batu Caves on the edge of KL - however be careful for the monkeys that roam here! Any further questions just ask!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: uncertain.

Hard to say as we're all individuals - I'm not big on shopping but I love KL & HK for that matter.

There's plenty of things to do in KL other than shopping but going to Penang or Melaka would be ideal to try and include.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uncertain.

What didn't you like about HK?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,640 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uncertain.

I think if you're considering Malaysia for a three day each way stop over that KL would be good for one of the trips and then you could perhaps go to Penang for the other. KL is a a very different city altogether than Bangkok and if you loved it there it might be best to visit again as KL is really a shopping place with a few other sights to visit. Great food and you can visit the fireflies and stuff like that but nowhere near as many places to explore as BKK. Just my humble opinion.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: uncertain.

Thank you all and I am off to the travel agent now to see what price they can come up with. I have decided to give KL a go as long as the price is ok. Perhaps stop off in Bangkok again on the way back if the price is right. It all depends on the travel agent really. I will go to them, see what they have to say and then try and see if I can get a better price on line. What did I not like about Hong Kong?Since my early 20's (which was not yesterday) I have always wanted to visit HK.I had built up an image of what it would be like. I was bitterly dissapointed at the drab appearance of the city (except the CBD). But I suppose that this is the character of the place and the attraction. It is a shoppers paradise. We loved the night life and followed our rough guide etc...so didn't really miss out on anything. I felt that there wasn't enough places to visit during the day (we had four days) and as I am a fan of green space, monuments and museums I felt that the days were quite empty. We were up from 8am and had many hours to kill until evening. The nights were great though. We partied like youngsters.I also thought that the docks would be more built up and cater for diners etc..I would probably give it another try but know what to expect now. I am going to look up Melang and Melaka.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: uncertain.

Hi, just read your message as I was about to go out. Before I go, do you thing that Penang is more suitable for my likes than HK? I have done no reading on Penang as I was not planning on going there? Thanks. And do you know if there is a flight directly to there from London? Obviously, I will be asking the agent this today.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,229 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: uncertain.

Hi

There is more to Malaysia than Kuala Lumpur. KL is really a great place to visit for 2-3 days, then it can get boring.

Penang is a fabulous place and is worth thinking about. You can not fly there directly, and will have to go via a hub, such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok etc. Most cities are have lots of drab bits . . .

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: uncertain.

Penang (Georgetown) is a very interesting place with lots of historic temples, colonial buildings, albeit some of it having seen better days! Its one of my favourite Malaysian cities with a vibrant old town, and the food is excellent.

The rest of the island I have not explored apart from Batu Ferringhi which i found to be overrated - its beaches not a patch on those on the east coast of west malaysia.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: uncertain.

Well, I have returned from the travel agent and both agents did not have a clue! I went to two and both girls had not really heard of KL. Anyway, they could not get me a flight as they said that I have left it too late. So, I have returned home after two hours at the agents and looked up Malyasian airlines and found two flights to KL from London and again returning on our way back from New Zealand. We are now almost certainly going to book flights to KL and stay for three days then on our return fly into KL and either train or bus it or drive to Penang as it looks EXACTLY the place that we would love. We can just touch down on our return to KL and spend the next four or five days getting to and exploring Penang. And spend a little less time in New Zealand. I am more excited about Penang than KL. Thank you all for helping me and expecially those who directed me towards Penang. You have all been more informitive than the travel agents.I shall let you all know when I book as I will probably want advice on Penang.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: uncertain.

Travel agent hadn't heard of KL lol Time for a new agent I think :)