We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of Locations

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of Locations

We are in KL for two nights in mid April and I have narrowed our choice of hotel down to two and which one I choose depends more on the area the hotel is located, rather than the hotel, because both get consistently good reviews.

The choice is between The Nest which is in the Golden Triangle on Jalan Angsoka just off Jalan Nagasari and the second is

Lotus Hotel Masjid India, which is right next to Masjid Jamek LRT station.

We are staying as tourists and I suppose the main factors are firstly places to go at night to eat. We will want to eat local Chinese, Indian, Malay foods. I can see Lotus Hotel is near Chinatown, but I have read in a guide book that the street stalls there are difficult for foreigners to use. I can also see that there seems to plenty of eating options near The Nest. Secondly is getting round to see the main tourist sights. I can see both are near LRT stations, is either noticeably better located from that point of view?

Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Kuala Lumpur Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Kuala Lumpur Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
MM Adventure Travel and Discovery
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of Locations

Hi Tim

I personally prefer Bukit Bintang area as best for tourists.Food options aplenty,shopping.Monorail can get you around with Taxis so KL is quite compact in that regard.For an street stall option that is a bit westernised try the foodcourt at Lot 10 Shopping centre,also the food court at The Pavilion Shopping Centre.Have a great trip.

Sean

Malaysia
Level Contributor
840 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of Locations

In terms of location I'd say The Nest is the better of the two.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,448 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of Locations

I agree with Sean 100% that the Bukit Bintang area is by far the best location. Loads of shops, department stores, restaurants, street food and close by the monorail which makes it easy to get around.

There are heaps of different price range hotels in the area so it would be a shame to stay somewhere a little out of the way where it's not as easy to get about.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
244 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of Locations

A matter of preference really.

Masjid Jamek if you prefer to be closer to Central Market & Chinatown (Petaling Street).

BB if you want to be close to shopping, and just about everything else. Plenty of street food in Jalan Alor and food courts in the malls. The Hutong food court in Lot 10 mall is notable, like Sean mentioned.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 08:59
England
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of Locations

Hi, we are actually staying in the Lotus hotel right now. The hotel is dead opposite a side entrance/exit into the station ( to the right as you come out the barriers). The hotel is extremely clean, although our room is small, but the bed is huge and comfortable. Nice bathroom, (shower only) friendly helpful staff. Slightly damp smell on entering, comes from bathroom, I think this is because the window is not vented. Doesn't affect our stay in the slightest.

Street stalls outside, lots of restaurants, had a fabulous Indian meal last night in ABC Corner (looks seedy, great food, no ill effects). No alcohol to be had anywhere though, if that is important to you. Been to petronas and KLTowers today, and the aquarium. KL tower well worth it, shopping mall under Petronas was huge. Masjid is central on the LRT train line, so everywhere is accessible at very little cost.

Hope this is of help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of Locations

Hi Lorraine

It sounds like you are having a good time in KL.The KLCC shopping centre is huge.Just something else you might want to try that we did on our last trip to KL,was to hire a Segway at the Lake Gardens and do a one hour tour around the gardens,lots of fun and something different.It is a great ambience with all the street stalls in KL and the hustle and bustle.Have fun on the rest of your trip.

Sean

7. Re: Choice of Locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:33