We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The current price of gold

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
The current price of gold

Hi everyone,

Could anyone please help me with the following? Am trying to find out the current price per gram of white gold and normal yellow gold. This would help me a great deal when I go shopping for jewellery next week in KL. I'll be staying at the Royale Chulan so any recommendations and tips on getting a good deal would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The current price of gold

18K white gold isn't sold by weight ... I bought a tiny penchant a few weeks ago and knocked down the quoted price by 30%. 22K's current price is about RM190/gm ... whilst this price is "fixed", you can negotiate the cost of the workmanship.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The current price of gold

JuleB66 is correct...it really comes down to your bargaining power.

I do know that prices are better in Malaysia than in any of the UK high st jewelers like Ernest Jones or H Samuel.

How much better depends on your bargaining power - chances are more you buy, more you get.

Do use the time between now and when you fly to find out comparable pieces in the UK so you know where to start your negotiations.

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The current price of gold

Thank you both for your replies. I have an idea of prices here in UK. Will be heading to the Pavilion this morning to get a feel for the prices here in KL. Lets hope my bargaining skills are up to scratch! It's been a long time :)

Thanks again x

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The current price of gold

Some places charge you goid by weight, and tag on workmanship.

For gold by weight, refer here

http://www.publicgold.com.my/v1/

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The current price of gold

Thank you for the link. Much appreciated!

Visited Tomei In Pavillion yesterday and wasn't impressed with the prices. The start off prices were very high even with a 70% off Valentines promotion on selected pieces. For example a 9ct white gold plain band ring was 1072rm. What do u think?

Many thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The current price of gold

You sure it's 9K gold? I have not seen 9K here. But if you are right, then it's deffo very expensive.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The current price of gold

Thats way to expensive...

Same as Jules says I have never seen 9ct for sale in Malaysia.

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The current price of gold

Thank you guys for letting me know about the 9ct as I was not aware of this. Hmmm now I don't know why he told me it was 9ct coz my husband was with me and he also remembers being told it was 9ct.

Prob will be heading to Sungei wang tomorrow. Let's see if its any better.

Could anyone let me know if stuff in general like clothes, shoes etc are fixed prices in Sungei Wang....what u see is what u pay? Or can u still haggle on these prices? I went there today and wasn't sure as I didn't see anyone haggling.

Many thanks again!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
417 posts
693 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The current price of gold

I think the best place to shop for gold would be in Little India Penang... perhaps there might be an indian enclave in KL. The Indians should give you one price per gram for everything in the shop (usually), Not usually loaded, so you don´t need to bargain

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The current price of gold

Just a wee tale of looking to buy some hoop earrings with a friend in Little India as a gift.

After they were weighed the price was given as £190 (18ct), now we were not talking huge heavy hoops here, the med size lightweight plain not patterned in any way and a basic fitment, that in the UK (granted for 9ct ) you would pay about £35. (when asked for the price per once we were given a load of waffle which really was a load of tosh) Way to expensive, and left the store not about to be fleeced, we ended up getting a friend who was local to get some elsewhere at a fraction of the cost.

So have a cost in mind of what your looking for and prepared to pay. Some stores do have the cost for 18, 24 and sometimes 22ct diplayed.