We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown

Hi guys,

I have heard its better to go to Chinatown in the evening, what time do you recommend?

Also what is the best method of getting there?? As I know the nearest LRT station is Mahjarela station. But if we it is best to go there in the evening the monorail might not be operating then? What time do LRTs stop running? So is it better to take a taxi there and back??

I have also heard that the area is a bit dodgy? Is that true? Would you fellow TA's recommend it as a place to definitely go to truly experience KL?

Thanks in advance guys.

M

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown

There are more stalls in the evening/night for you to browse. Like any other night markets in Asia, its crowded and tend to be busy so be careful with your personal belongings and be prepared to bargain if you want to buy. You may catch the LRT which runs till midnight and may only be a short walk to Chinatown. Depending on where you stay, you might need a taxi. Its truly an experience if you haven't been to one. A suggestion is you might like to go to Sentral Plaza first before hopping to Chinatown....

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown

Whats Sentral Plaza??

We will be staying in Bukit Bintang [Grand Millenium hotel]. What time in the evening does it all start getting busy??

Maryam

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown

Go to Central Markets (no bargaining required, marked prices), 1st as they are open during the day and close at 9pm. Chinatown opens about 5pm, but not many stalls are open then, so suggest you leave it till 6.30 or 7pm.

Chinatown is only a 5 min walk from central markets.

Just near your hotel is the Pavilion. It has a metered taxi stand just outside the breezeway. You pay them rm2 or 3 and they call you a metered cab. But beware as the blue taxis have been lining up there and they are metered anyway.

If you can go to chinatown early on in the week, Mon Tues or Wed as it gets very very crowded on the weekend.

Chinatown you will need to bargain hard, but read up on any topics about it (on this forum) so you get an idea of what is a fair price.

Plenty of taxis outside Chinatown to catch a cab back to your hotel. They will ask a higher price than you pay getting there, so be prepared to pay rm20+ for the fare back to your hotel.

I love Chinatown. We always sit down and have a meal there and people watch. I dont buy much there these days, but my daughters always appreciate a handbag or two. Google (on this forum) Ben the handbag man as you dont need to bargain with him. But as a general rule, no handbag should cost you more than rm75 / 80. Some at rm50.

But above all have fun in KL and enjoy the experience and the lovely people.

Cheers. Danuta.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown

Forget to mention, avoid travelling during peak hour time. Say 5pm to 7pm. Roads are chaotic, so is the monorail.

Your nearest monorail station is just west of your hotel in front of Sungei Wang & BB plaza. (say 3 min walk from your hotel).

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown

chinatown night market is operable from 5-9 pm some times half an hour more or less.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
1,724 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown

And if you want to purchase items at a fixed price no bargaining required please check this prior thread as Ben is honest and doesnt inflate his prices as most other vendors:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k…

Tommo

7. Re: Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Kuala Lumpur
Recent Conversations