We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prescription glasses/tailors

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
prescription glasses/tailors

We go to kuala Lumpa next week and have been on the forum of all the goodies to buy whilst there.

Someone said that prescription glasses could be bought there.

As we are only there for three nights is ordering glasses do-able?

Also i have a Saress (a type of sarong) and wondered if there was anywhere i could have some more made. They would have to take the pattern from mine.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prescription glasses/tailors

Hi roblady

KL is a good option for prescription glasses and a lot of posters to this site have purchased from there.You could save time by taking your script from home but they will do an eyecheck there if required.This should be able to be done in the time you have.As for the Saress,there is an area in KL called Little India and I would imagine you could get one made there.Have a great trip.

Sean

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prescription glasses/tailors

One bit of advice I would say is check how much your prescription/frames would be in the UK, you know in the usual suspects Specsavers etc

In the past when the exchange rate was higher (£=MYR) buying glasses was a good bargain but not so much now with deals in the UK 2 for 1 and 1/2 price and so on most of the time.

It all depends on how complicated your prescription is. My last lot (from Patrick in Penang pairs of many) were about the same as what I would pay in the UK, but general reading glasses were more expensive.

Compared to my previous buys I was not saving anything at all. I have high index lenses and tend to go for med/high end frames, however contact lenses tend to be slightly cheaper and stock up them and contact lens solution is a bargain compared to the UK. (shipped about 2 years worth back all in date)

Eye tests are free (as are some places now in the UK) but they can vary in professionalism, so bring a most up to date prescription with you to compare. There are plenty of chains of opticians to choose from.

3. Re: prescription glasses/tailors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:19