We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

mcn
bury st edmunds
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria tablets

malaria tablets, do you need these if visiting elephant sanctuary or firefly river. Thanks for your help.

KSJ
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets

I've been travelling in Malaysia for the last 21 years - usually every 18 months or so. The main rule (as I understand it) is to avoid the mossies (mosquito - for non Australans). I used to take the anti malaria medication, typhoid, Hep etc ..... but I found the side effects to much load on my body (its getting older!!). If youre going to the fireflys (one of te most amazing things I've ever seen & well worth the travel) take a long sleeved (lightweight) shirt & carry an insect repellant in your water resistant bag/knapsack, I don't worry about the meds unless I'm going off the common tourist track, Malaysia s a very modern & progressive country now with excellent public health regulations (compared to 20+ years ago) - hope u have a wonderful time :-). BTW the non motorised canoes will give you a far better show the fireflys than a motorised tour, it's a bit more $ but the fireflys are less stressed so they don't hide - cheers

Edited: 16 February 2012, 03:00
KSJ
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets

I've been travelling in Malaysia for te sat 21 years - usually every 18 months or so. The main rule (as at as I understand it) is to avoid the mossies (mosquito - for non Australans). I used to ate anti malaria medication, typhoid, Hep etc ..... but I found the side effects to much load on my body (its getting older!!). If your going to the fireflys (one of te most amazing things I've ever seen & well worth the travel) take a long sleeved (lightweight) shirt & carry an insect repellant in your water resistant bag/knapsack, I don't worry about the meds unless I'm going off the common tourist track, Malaysia s a very modern & progressive country now with excellent public health regulations (compared to 20+ years ago) - hope u have a wonderful time :-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets

The elephant sanctuary and fireflies are hardly "rural" so no, you don't need malaria tablets (even Taman Negara is malaria-free). What should concern you more is dengue ... and as of today, has been on the rise even in KL. Use mossie spray on uncovered areas (which could mean your arms and legs because you'll be wearing sleeveless Ts and shorts because of the humidity!!!). You may not be aware that you've been bitten so if you do have the unfortunate incident of failing ill (high fever that doesn't quite subside even after ibuprofen/paracetamol), headaches, "pain behind the eyes" and general malaise, then see a doctor immediately.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets

I think I'm right in saying that the Dengue carrying mossies bite during daylight hours.

Our KL friends' child relative got Dengue during our last visit, she was seriously ill for several weeks.

We have found the best repellent to be Riemann mosquit-ex, we wouldn't use anything else.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets

Actually there's no specific time when the pesky dengue-carrying mossie bites ... but it would seem during the day and when the lights are switched on at night. www.cdc.gov/Dengue/prevention/index.html

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,114 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets

As KSJ mentioned, many of the anti malaria compounds have some rather unpleasant side effects so it's best to avoid taking them if you can. In any case, they won't protect you from dengue fever and it seems that there is no illoculation or pills which can do so.

Of course you're left with the only option which is to avoid being bitten, so a good repellant and long sleeves/trousers is the only way.

7. Re: Malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:19