We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Charlotte, North...
10 posts
Save Topic
Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Are African Americans welcomed warmly (kindly) inside Kuala Lumpar? My husband and I are thinking of traveling there mid May for around 3 weeks. Can anyone give me their personal thoughts on this matter. Thank you in advance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

You might be mistaken as nigerian students, which are plentiful here...:-)

Charlotte, North...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

My husband and I are in our 50s. Still a problem you think? Presently, do you see a few African American tourists there occasionally?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Perhaps if you can tell us what makes you concerned, or why you think there would be a problem? We have expatriates from all over the world in Kuala Lumpur and plenty of students from Africa studying in local colleges.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,092 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Can't think of any reason why you would not be, unless you think there is?

Charlotte, North...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

I had read of a few incidences with a few Nigerian students. Hence, I thought the same thought you implied before. I'm thinking because we are older and a couple we will be noticed probably as expat Americans tourists. But upon reading the article my mind did question IF there is a common cordiality and welcome for all. It seemed to my husband and I that their are already many shades of brown in Malaysia, so there should not be a problem. But I have to admit - that article disturbed me quite a bit. I just wanted to have a conversation with someone who lives there as to the 'feel' of KL for ALL travelers. Again, thank you so much.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

"Dark" coloured skin people in general may be mistaken to be nigerian and due to some bad publicity, may have bad light shine on them but due to your age this would not be the case and you should not have any problem here

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Hi Cassandra

You will be welcomed in KL.Malaysian culture is such that they love all things American and the locals are friendly and curious. My Son is tall for his age and quite blonde and the locals may stare and touch his hair but at all times remaining friendly and happy.You will be fine.

Sean

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Anyone who is courteous and well-mannered will be welcome, not only here, but anywhere in the world.

The fact that people shy away from certain people are a reaction to the things they have done.

I hope the message is clear.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Unfortunately, very few Asians can actually differentiate accents! However, an African American friend has been to Malaysia a few times and he's never encountered problems. So relax and come visit!

Charlotte, North...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are African Americans welcomed warmly inside Kuala Lumpar?

Everyone has been so gracious in assisting me with my question. Thank you so much. I feel much better after connecting with you all. We are going to come with great and happy intentions and expectations of and for our trip to KL. This is how we try to live our lives always.

Flying in and through Dubai. Any tips???