We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

I know it's a very 'girlie' question, but can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hairdresser in the BB area that does good blonde colouring?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Hi Bex

As a bloke who does not have much hair left,poor me, I am probably not the best person to answer, but I know from some of the ladies on this site that they say don't risk your hair in KL, especially with blonde colouring as it is not a colour that is used commonly there. They are not so used to western coloured hair and nothing gets a girl down more than a crook haircut. If you really want to do it, go for it but consider one of your Wellington hairdressers.Enjoy KL.

Sean

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

I would not chance it in the slightest, I have seen some friends (ex pats and locals) hair ruined by hairdressers who have tried to do 'blond'....and ended up having to wait until they went home to get foils etc done.

Do yourself a favour and just get it done at home and don't take the chance..

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

...forgot to add...

It took me a long time to find a hairdresser where I lived in Malaysia who I trusted to cut my hair (luckily I'm naturally blond, so no colouring!!) a great Chinese lady who was recommended by a lot of people. You took your own shampoo, products etc and left it there for the next time in a plastic bag...at a cost of 12myr!! Im cursing now at having to pay the prices in the UK.

You know yourself if you can go to a completely strange hairdressers and trust them first time

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,354 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Hi Bex

I completely and absolutely agree with everyone who has advised against you having this sort of hair treatment in KL. Not only KL of course, but in any asian city.

Asian hair is a very different texture to western hair and is much stronger so will tolerate harsh chemicals therefore you could run the risk that your hair could break and drop out. Not a good look.

Even if you took your own products I still don't think it's worth the risk.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 12:14
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,354 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

I forgot to mention that "blonding" is actually a process of stripping the hair of it's natural colour which can make it very fragile.so it needs to be done very carefully

Edited: 16 June 2012, 12:16
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,562 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

I normally allow the sun to do its own thing with my hair, and I would never, ever let anyone I did not know lose with my hair, ever!!

A wash and blow dry yes, but cut and colour, never!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,636 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

If you really want to do it here, when you are at suria klcc mall, check out Saw salon at the top floor of the mall. Look for the owner Edwin. He used to be artistic director of Michaeljohns London and will be very familiar with your hair.

He is one of the best in KL, and his prices follow his reputation.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Gosh

I am obviously really reckless! Having for many years called in to one of the hairdressing schools on bukit bintang for a wash and blowdry + wonderful head massage and then as I got braver hair cuts last year I decided to have the works colour foils( not blonde tho) and cut. Ok it was prompted by the kids refusing to be seen in public with me any longer so disgraceful were the state of my locks!

5 hours later , yes 5 they cut it strand by strand washed it 2 times massage etc it was the very best haircut/ colour ever! I did have a sore bottom from sitting so long and was stressing about missing so many hours of shoe shopping.

It is a risk anywhere new I guess

Subang Jaya...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Late chiming in on this one but I thought I would throw it out there for anyone that comes to this thread.

DON'T DO IT. I had to find out the hard way about going from dark brown to blonde here. By the time he was done torturing my hair, my waist length locks were now banana yellow. I asked him if he was going to put toner on and he just looked at me like I'd grown another head. Then says, "OH YES! I can do that. Well, he did. I realised later that he'd just dyed over the top of it again. Now, my hair is a disgusting yellow/white combo and completely fried off...and I do mean fried. My end result? My long locks had to be cut to about an inch off my scalp...a month before my wedding.

Be careful. I would suggest getting the proper products from overseas such and learning to do it yourself. Never again will I go to a salon here.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hairdresser - blonde foils in Bukit Bintang?

Agree don't do it. I tried to buy some toning shampoo and conditioner for coloured blond hair in KL as I had left mine at home, and all I received were blank looks from every salon I went into. If they don't know what a toning shampoo is don't like your chances of ending up with a nice blond. You may at best get a straw yellow.