We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card with data

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card with data

Do any of the local sim cards in Malaysia come with a data allowance?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card with data

Yes

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card with data

Which ones?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card with data

When I was in KL back in May, I picked up a Hotlink Bagus Prepaid Sim Card for voice/txt/data.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card with data

Hi, these are the celcos operating in Malaysia:-

(1).Maxis/Hotlink-post #3 provides a good option with their Hotlink Bagus (Bagus = Malay language for good). If your holiday is going to be concentrated in KL- this network IMHO provides a more reliable and steady coverage and connection(in respect of data) - http://www.hotlink.com.my

(2). Digi (Digi prepaid smart plan)- not too bad, though when I was back in KL in June; network seems to lose coverage in certain areas in KL,and 3G(for data) slows down to EDGE speed- http://www.digi.com.my/prepaid/plan_prepaid_smartplan.do;

(3) Celcom /Xpax- providing an extensive network particularly if going out of Klang valley.

(4). Tune Talk- a MVNO riding on Celcom network. If on board an AirAsiaX (AirAsia) flight, could be purchased or at LCCT.

For each line registration, your passport is required.

These celcos have their respective shops/kiosks in LCCT and also KLIA. If in town(e.g. Bukit Bintang), pop into Sungai Wang or Low Yat Plaza, a prepaid pack and line registration can also be done.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 03:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card with data

Thanks for all that helpful information.

We will be in Malaysia for three weeks - Melaka, Kuching, Penang, Kota Bahru, Taman Negara and finally KL. So as you can see we are all over the place.

From what I had read Celcom seemed to fit our needs best.

Does either Celcom/Xpax or Tune Talk come with a data allowance for WiFi?

I fly into KLIA and my husband is flying with Air Asia into LCCT (long story!) and then straight to Melaka. So I am thinking we can get a sim either on the plane or at the airport. Do you know if Tune Talk available at both KLIA and LCCT?

Do you know whether a micro-card is an option? I have purchased a card cutter just in case.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card with data

Hi, Tune Talk does not offer microSIm.

You meant personal hotspot-i.e. prepaid SIM in iPhone or tablet,and activating personal hotspot via bluetooth for WiFi..yep( I know your rationale,as prepaid Optus does not offer personal hotspot on their newer prepaid SIM).

Have not seen a TuneTalk kiosk in KLIA main terminal. Only at LCC terminal(LCCT).

Celcom has their branch/BlueCube at LCCT and also at KLIA Main(Arrival hall).

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card with data

Yes!

Dhaka, null...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card with data

What are the documents that will be required for a tourist in Malaysia to procure a sim card from the KL international airport?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,581 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card with data

passport

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim Card with data

whatever you do, don't bother with celcom xpax if, like me, you rely a lot on a 3G connection to find things out and navigate. I haven't had any mobile broadband coverage since I got here a week ago despite paying upfront for it and the only communication I've had from celcom is to remind me to pay them more money for their non-existent connection. absolutely terrible.