We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Hour transit in KL

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
12 Hour transit in KL

Hi Everyone,

I have a 12 hour transit in KL this coming Sunday and would love to hear suggestions on what to do and where to eat some good Malay food.

Thanks

MrsB

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

What time are you coming in and what time is your flight leaving?

How many in your party and what are their interests, age...etc

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Malay food or Malaysian food? There is a difference.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,955 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Also, what airline are you flying with?

So, if you tell us what time you are coming in, where you are going from and who with, what time you are flying out and who with, if you will be 'in transit' or if you will have to clear immigration and collect your bags? Depending on this, your 12 hours might only be 8!!

Have you read the FAQs --->>

FAQ Long Transit --->>> is a really good read!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Hi Mrs Bowie

Yes a lot depends on if you are planning to leave the Airport or just hang around the terminal. If you are to head into the city you will be spoilt for good food options as well as shopping etc. Both the LCCT and KLIA are not known for their food so best to head into town.

Sean

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Jadamros

please excuse my ignorance I am embarrassed to ask despite many forays into Malaysia's beautiful food, can you explain the difference to me.

Thanks

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

No worries Lynne.

Just as Australia is a very multi-cultural society made up from many various ethnic groups i.e. Anglo-Celts, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Arabic/Lebanese, Aborigine or Torres islanders, etc; so is Malaysia.

Malaysia is made up of the following major ethnic groups i.e. Malay, Chinese, Indian, Iban, Kadazan-Dusun, Orang Asli, etc. Each ethnic group can be further divided into smaller sub-groups i.e. a Malay can be of the Minangkabau, Mandailing, Banjar, Kedahan, Kelantanese, etc subgroup; a Chinese can be a Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, Hakka, etc.

Each ethnic group has its own cuisine.

For example, Malay food are things like Nasi Lemak, Satay, Rendang, Nasi Goreng, etc. Meals are usually white rice eaten with an accompaniment of side dishes.

Chinese food would be things like Char Koay Teow, Laksa, Bak Kut Teh, Yong Tau Foo, etc

Indian food would be things like Roti Canai, Teh Tarik, Banana Leaf Rice, Capatis, Tosai, etc.

So if you ask for Malay food, you are basically asking for a restaurant serving only Malay cuisine, not Chinese, not Indian.

Whereas Malaysian food can mean the food of any of the ethnic groups living in Malaysia.

Hope that long-winded explanation has not confused you further!

Edited: 16 August 2012, 02:49
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Thanks Jadamros for that great explanation. Like Lynne I to didn't understand the difference but your explanation makes sense. One thing I do know is when it comes to food , your country is fantastic with so many choices , smells and flavours.

Sean

Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

here's a suggestion for a normal days..

get KLIA express to KL Sentral (35 min) , take Rapid KL LRT to Kampung Baru (16 min) out of the subway station, walk the street behind the station and there's tens of malay restaurant...

but..

this sunday is Eid , most Malay back to their hometown, Malay food outlet are closed and the city will have the influx of foreign worker that worjked all over peninsular for gathering..

anyway, most people in Kampung Baru is a original settlers, and its common for Malays to recieved strangers on Eid to visit their open house .. i think if u try this, u'll have an extraordinary experience having the special delicacies of Malay food that only on the table during Eid.. :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

Hi Jadramos

THANK YOU!

in my mind I had previously meen thinking of 'Malay" food as "Malaysian" food and Chinese as chinese, indian etc your explanation far from being long winded was very succint and clear thanks!

I am hungry just thinking of these dishes,

so then is Nonya food Malay or sort of chinese (it did come from the Straits Chinese didnt it)

OP sorry I have been very rude and hijacked your thread sorry . Especially if you can leave your bags at the airport I would second going into the city, depending on what time you are there.

some of the places I like to eat at (sorry these arent all actually now I cant remember if any are Malay) are Hakka (I think thats more Chinese pls someone correct me) Tarbush (middle eastern) the Wong Ah Wah chicken wings along jalan Alor the stall furthest away from the McDonalds end, Lot 10 basement, Oveseas restaurant ,Fong Lye all in the Bukit Bintang area .

Hope you have a lovely if brief visit.

Cocktails at dusk at the Traders Sky Bar is also a very lovely way to spend an hour or 2

L

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 Hour transit in KL

The Peranakan Chinese or Baba-Nyonyas are descendants of Chinese immigrants who came to the Straits Settlements from the 16th century onwards. Some intermarried with Malays and they adopted a lot of the Malay culture in their lifestyle and even cooking.

So Nyonya food is basically a fusion of Chinese and Malay food.