We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A daytrip from KL

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
A daytrip from KL

What could you suggest as a daytrip from KL? We were thinking of Cameron Highlands, but we've just realised it's too far... We are ready for anything interesting.

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A daytrip from KL

Day trip to Elephant Sanctuary or Fireflies in Kuala Selangor. Melaka too is possible.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A daytrip from KL

1-Melaka

2-Fraser's Hill

3-Genting Highlands

4-Bukit Tinggi / Janda Baik / Berjaya Hills

5-Kuala Selangor

6-Kuala Gandah

Australia
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A daytrip from KL

Day trips I have made and we loved them are:

Elephant Sanctuary which included Batu caves & deer park - full day

monkey Hill with the silver leaf monkeys and the fireflies - afternoon trip

Melaka - this is 2hrs out though but is a unesco site and very interesting however would do only if you have more than 3 dys.

FRIM - for the more adventurous which has a canopy walk, rock pools and about 1km walk straight up a hill. This is harder to get to but only 50mins put of KL - if you decide on this I can give you the cheap option of getting here :D

Hope this helps :D

Looks like I was posting at the same time as others - personally give genting highlands a miss but it's only my opinion ;)

Edited: 16 August 2012, 11:11
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A daytrip from KL

Thank you so much for quick replies. Melakka we'll do prior to KL anyway and we plan to stay there even for 2 days. But: can we make a single daytrip suggested by you on our own, or we'd rather have to use a travel agent (which we normally don't)?

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A daytrip from KL

Possible. No need travel agent.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A daytrip from KL

Definitely without a travel agent - if you look up in the search function 'recommended drivers' use one of these guys. Way cheaper than booking through an agent :D

From Melaka you could even catch the bus to KL which is very cheap

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A daytrip from KL

This is what we normally do - we use buses. Thank you one more time.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A daytrip from KL

I think we'll do FRIM. So, it's time for your tip referring cheap way of getting there.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A daytrip from KL

Ok don't take a taxi of the side of the road they will try to charge you $150-200myr

So go to KL Sentral and to a budget counter and advise them that you want a taxi voucher to FRIM (forest research institute of Malaysia) should cost $23myr

We got dropped at the gate but didn't mind the walk which was I believe less than a km (if your ok with walking it was easy) - I think you can ask the taxi driver to take you to the main office though. At the entrance you pay $5myr each walking or taxi.

You go to the ticket office and pay for the canopy walk of $10myr each - last registration is 1.30 and closes at 2.30 so go early. It's not open on Mondayor Friday either.

This took us a couple of hours - take bottle water with you as there isn't a shop until you come back down the hill. I jumped in the rock pools down the bottom fully clothed as believe me you dry ;) the canopy walk was awesome as long as your not afraid of heights.

Once ready to leave we just walked back to the main gate and flagged a passing taxi who used his meter (make sure they turn on) and it cost us $12myr back to the Renaisance hotel. Now we had a back up plan if no taxis as there is a bus across the road or a train station about 1km away. So either way wasn't an issue getting back :D

Any other questions feel free :D

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,955 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A daytrip from KL

Really great advice Jacks!