We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

My flight arrives in KUL at 3:45 pm. My flight for Australia leaves at 11:45pm (same day)... After clearing customs I should have at least 5 hours left there I feel?

I'm a photographer and I would hate to miss a chance of snapping a few photographs of the Petronas Towers. I looked on google maps and it can take up to 2 hours to reach the towers from the airport? WOW! That's loooong.

How about if I get a cab? will it be under an hour? How much does it cost in USD to get there and come back? I just want to get a few photos and be on my way. Do you guys think is possible?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

Yes its possible, but the journey by cab would cost about usd 50 to 60 round trip. It takes 60-90 mins by cab, since you are going during peak hours, but you will see the towers at dusk and at night.

Dont forget the tripod

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

If you are arriving at KLIA main Terminal you can catch the KLIA Express train to KL Sentral Station. You will then need to get taxi to Petronas. The train runs every 15 minutes and takes 28 minutes to KL Sentral station. A taxi fro the Station to Petronas will take 15 - 20 minutes depending on traffic. The trasin fare is RM 70 return ($US 35) and you buy the ticket at the KLIA Express at the counter in the terminal after you pass through Immigation. You buy a taxi voucher at the taxi counter at KL Sentral Station. Cost. I would guess about RM 25.

Penisular Malaysia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

other than that you can also take the LRT (subway) from KL Sentral to KLCC.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

I arrive at LCC terminal and also depart from that. My tickets were purchase with Air Asia and they had an option to buy a ticket for 2 USD to KL Sentral or something. I did that..

KLCC is what? the airport Terminal? KL Sentral is the main subway station in KL?

So it does take about 2 hours with the subway.. that's really cutting it close.

Wow.. a taxi sounds expensive!

Penisular Malaysia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

KLCC stands for Kuala Lumpur City Center where the twin towers are located.

KL Sentral is the main transportation hub in KL

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

The KLIA Express departs from the Main terminal which is 25km by road from the LCCT, even though they are on the same airport, so it is really out as a means from LCCT. The $US2 would be a bus that will take about 60 minutes to the city. KL Sentral unfortunately is not very central and the bus will also terminate there. You will still need to get to Petronas.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

The lcct bus goes to KL sentral station, which is not in KL city center. You will still need a cab to get fron kl sentral to klcc, where the twin towers are.

Since time is a premium, A taxi is the best way. Remeber usd 50 is for a 2-3 hour journey return.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,222 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

Acronyms . . .

KUL = Kuala Lumpur airport

KLIA = the terminal at KUL where main airlines arrive

LCCT = the low cost carrier terminat at KUL where budget airlines arrive

KLCC = Kuala Lumpur city centre - the old racetrack that is now the home to the Petronas Towers / park etc.

KL Sentral = main train station that is not central

Yes the city is 55km north of the airport . . . and it can take 90mins at time. A taxi is quicker!

Have you read the FAQs ---->>>? As questions similar to yours get asked regularly we have set up some FAQs, if you look in the right panel part of the this screen, if you are accessing via the smart phone app’ you won't see the FAQs, so suggest that you head to a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected.

-----> -----> -----> ----->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular the following.

--- AIRPORT INFORMATION ---

 FAQ Airport/City Time

 FAQ Airport/City cost/options

 FAQ Airport Long transits

It will take around 45mins to clear immigration / customs and put your bags into left luggage (unless you have fly-thru). So that makes it around 16:30

A taxi will take around 45mins to get you door to door from the Airport to the Petronas Tower with a coupon from the taxi counter will cost 75myr each way (US$25). Whilst the Air Asia Skybus will take at least an hour to KL Sentral, then a taxi or train from there to KLCC / Petronas Towers. So that now makes it around 17:30

On the return, you need to be leaving thUSe city 20:30, so that gives you only 3 hours in the city!! Why 20:30? 1 hour to get from the city to the airport, 2 hours to collect your bags from left luggae and check in again, in time before the check in desks close at 1 hour before the flights!! If you miss your flight to Australia, then you will have to rebuy new tickets for the next available flight at the going rate!

Why not give yourself a nights stopover, more relaxed and you can take photos of all towers in Kuala Lumpur, not just the Petronas Towers . . .

Good luck.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

Well, KL Sentral is not central in KL city but it is quite central to the integrated rail system that serves it from Rawang, Gombak, Ampang, Seremban, Port Klang, ;) see the link http://www.myrapid.com.my/rail/routes

Edited: 13 September 2012, 08:45
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 hour layover. Enough time to photograph Petronas Towers?

I love the info.. too late! I already got my ticket and I'm not checking any bags. I have two small bags