We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What transport card do I need and where to get it?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
What transport card do I need and where to get it?

This is my planned KL transport itinerary:

Mon: Walk to from Shangri-la hotel to Dang Wangi station, get train to KL Sentral, walk to Lake Gardens & Islamic Arts Museum. Walk to Pasar Seni or KL Sentral station, train back to Dang Wangi, walk back to hotel.

Tues: Walk to Dang Wangi station, train to Pasar Seni, walk to Kuala Lumpur commuter station, train to Batu Caves. Train back to Kuala Lumpur commuter station, walk to Central Market, Merdeka Square etc, walk to Masjid Jamek station, train back to Dang Wangi, walk back to hotel.

Wed: Walk to Petronas Towers, and on to Pavilion Mall and back. Is it not far to do this walk in a day?

Is a Touch n Go card different from a MyRapid card? Which one should I buy to cover all of the above? How much should I load onto it?

Thank you for your help.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,423 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Hi

MyRapid is the new card for all systems http://www.myrapid.com.my/tickets-fares/lrt

You may find the walks are longer than you think . . . . especially in the very hot and humid conditons of Kuala Lumpur . . .

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Hi,

MyRapid card is a hybrid of Touch n Go(TnG). It would be better to get TnG card as you will travel using KTM Komuter. TnG is more accepted including KLIA Express train. MyRapid is valid for LRT, Monorel, and Rapid Bus only and benefit to locals.

You can buy TnG at Dang Wangi Station. A card with amount RM50 should be enough to suit your itinerary.

On Wednesday, you can walk all the way to KLCC and use pedestrian bridge to Pavillion Mall. Use bus or rail to your hotel. MyRapid journey planner can help you which the best mode to make your way from Pavillion to Shangri-la.

Tafe

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,423 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Tafe, it is only one stop on the monorail from Bukit Bintang (just walk down Bukit Bintang from the Pavillion to Lot 10, cross over Jalan Sultan Ismail turn left to the monorail station) and then get off at Raja Chulan (just walk right 200m the Shangri-la) or get off at Bukit Nanas (just walk left 200m to the Shangri-la) don't need no journey planner for 2 or 3 stops .. . This map is probably better . . .http://www.myrapid.com.my/rail/routes

We love walking and we have walked from the Shangri-la round to the Petronas Towers, and then back to Bukit Bintang, and then back again, just make sure that you take water and stop reguarly. We have also done the Little India / Merdaka Square / Chinatown walk regularly. However the walk from KL Sentral to Lake Gardens is very, very long, and I would get a taxi and then walk around when you get there.

There a now fully air-conditioned pedestrian walkway from Petronas Tower / KLCC to Bukit Bintang. It is an elevated 5m wide walkway and goes across Jalan Pinang, Jalan Perak and Jalan Raja Chulan with entry and exit points along the way. The walkway links the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre to Impiana KLCC Hotel, and then the hotel to the Pavilion mall bridge crossing into Bukit Bintang, as well as link up the pedestrian tunnel from the concourse level of the KL Convention Centre to the existing tunnel to the Suria KLCC mall / Petronas Towers. So you don't have to go outside much.

If you want to walk on the outside, then walk around KLCC park to Traders, or round Mandarin Oriental hotel onto Jalan Penang, then cross over Jalan Pinang, into Jalan Kia Peng which has a couple of appt' blocks at the top of it and has Menara HLA building on the left side of the road (and behind this there is a colonial style bungalow which has a lane that leads to Traders), heading towards and beside the Novotel City Hotel, you will see the escalator up to the pedestrian bridge over Jalan Raja Chulan, this is the back of the Pavilion. Walk thorough the Pavilion and you will come out directly opposite the Starhill Gallery. Have a look on Google maps it is a pretty easy walk.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Wow! Thank you very much for this information Travelling Mitch.& Tafe, especially for the walking information.

So is the Touch n Go card not the MyRapid card, and if so is there a weblink about that please?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Hi,

Touch n Go will benefit you. MyRapid have limited utilization.

http://www.touchngo.com.my/

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Hi,

Shangri La do provide complimentary shuttle bus service to major shopping area like Petronas Twin Towers and Bukit Bintang

Or you may take advantage on the latest free bus service provided by Rapidkl

My friend who jus back from Malaysia, he mentioned that KL always raining nowadays..

Cheers

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Thank you very much - that looks very good.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

The MyRapid card can only be used on the LRT and monorail lines.

The Touch N'Go card can be used on the LRT, monorail, KTM Komuter, ERL train to the airport, RapidKL buses, and if you drive - paying toll and carparking charges at selected facilities as well.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Can you return either my rapid card or TnG card for refund of excess unsed value? For us tourist, we expect the refund to be done on the spot just like the hong kong octopus card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
315 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What transport card do I need and where to get it?

Can you purchase TnG cards at the airport? Thanks