We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

Is there's any direct rail/Bus service from the city of KL to Hongkong?

If yes..Can anyone help me with the approx travel time and rate PP for each?

Info on Google was a little offtrack, so I am not sure if there is any of these....however if anyone knows about it, and can share will be a real help....................thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

No there is no direct rail or bus service from KL to Hong Kong, as you will need to traverse multiple cities, and countries. You will travel from Malaysia, to Thailand (KL, Butterworth, Hatyai, Bangkok) , to Cambodia(Bangkok, Aranyaprathet, Siem Reap thru Phnon Penh to Saigon), to Vietnam (Saigon then Hanoi), then into China (Naning, Guangzhou) then Hong Kong.

You will require visa for all countries, currency for all countries (in case you have to overnight or settle issues at border crossings).

Certainly a journey of a lifetime and infinitely exciting for the adventorous and those with the time on their hands.

www.seat61.com gives a clue how to do sections of these by train / bus combo.

Good Luck and happy planning

Edited: 27 November 2012, 10:00
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

wow, thanks maic. I never knew that there is a central resource to land traveling as resourceful as that link. But I always think that there are some risks to traveling this way. There are news of certain chaos at the borders of Thai and Malaysia, and I'm sure there are others along the way too. It is good to exercise extra caution though.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

Hi ally

Probably cheaper to fly unless you are looking for the adventure aspect of trains. If you have the time I agree it would be interesting. Happy travels.

Sean

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

In my experience public transport travel in Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and China - is pretty good. You might have to do a combo of bus and train travel - and it will take you several days. It will also be tiring.

However, it could be the journey of a lifetime! If you are the adventurous type then it might be for you. You will certainly encounter many changes in scenery and different people along the way.

Of course, flying is probably cheaper but you miss out on so much when you are high above the clouds..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

@AnnSam2012 - how did your journey go? I'm thinking of doing the same next year.

Do you think 2 weeks is enough, including stay in HK?

Regards,

6. Re: Kuala Lumpur to Hongkong by train/Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:20