We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR 3 days in Oct

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
JBR 3 days in Oct

It had taken us nearly 2 hours to get from LCCT to the hotel by taxi. Terrible weather near LCCT caused the traffic to crawl along as you couldn’t see far in front of you. Then we hit peak hour traffic in KL.

But what a delight to finally arrive at the hotel (Hotel Royal) and be welcomed by Abu “smiley face” door man, and some other staff members. The welcomes from staff are so genuine and its a real comfort to us. Abu is always ready to give a wonderful smile and hug to us, he is indeed a great asset to the hotel. Our 3rd stay in 12 months. Beginning to feel like our home away from home.

Have done a separate review of the hotel.

I was nervous about going out and about in KL, as this was my first time back, since I was mugged in June 2012. But I was determined not to let that filthy animal ruin my feelings and love of KL. I had my new bag that has extra safety locks on the zips and a wire in the strap, Lise & Sabrina had put me onto this, so had a little bit of confidence from this. But every time a motor bike came near me, my hubby said my face turned white and I was immediately tense. I had to walk past the place I was mugged every time I stepped out of the hotel.

Big difference this time, was that there are a lot more policemen on foot, patrolling the main tourist areas, especially along Bukit Bintang, and near Sungei Wang.

The next day I called in to say hello to the young man who had tried to help me when I was mugged. If it wasn’t for him scaring the guy off, I might have been a lot worse off, as the mugger had a knife.

He told me that about a week later, the filthy animal tried to attack another lady in the same spot and he was caught, hotel staff told me the same thing.

Did some shopping at Sungei Wang, love the place. Also went to Sogo Dept Store, (this is one of my favourite places), as my suitcase had developed a small hole in it, it was time to get new luggage.

Bought Samsonite brand suitcase & matching trolley. Both cost rm520. Bought from the super light range. Quality is very good. It was discounted, but cant remember by how much maybe 40% off. Normal weight suitcase are much cheaper.

Also bought the grandkids some clothes, as local brands are good quality. My granddaughter normally wears size 6 clothes, but I have to buy size 8 to fit her, so be aware when buying, about the size difference.

It rained a lot during the 3 days we were there. But mostly heavy showers for an hour and then it cleared up for a while, and then more rain, followed by clear weather again for a while.

Not much luck with restaurants this time.

Went to Papa Johns Pizza at Berjaya Times Square. Have been at least 10 times over the last 3 years. Service was almost non-existant. Bill came hours before the meal did. Food was ok, but whatever side dishes we wanted it was “no have today”, and it was only lunch time.

The Manhattan Fish Market in the Pavilion. Food took ages to arrive, and it was dry & overcooked and stunk of oil. Have been to the one at Suria before and the food was good.

Lot 10 Food Court. Its like a rabbit warren. So compact and all over the place. Felt claustrophic. I think our choice of food was not right for us. Didnt enjoy the meal.

Now for our good choices.

Yans at Jalan Alor. Food was fantastic as always. Friendly staff make the place.

Outback Steakhouse. Had been to the one in Hong Kong a few weeks earlier. Wanted to see how they compare to each other. Menus vary slightly. Had the ribs, they looked like dinosaur ribs, but they just melted in your mouth. Also ordered the “no thrills pasta”. Very tasty. Had to eat inside the restaurant as the music from a bar a few shops up, was extremely loud. I would have preferred to sit outside & eat.

Went to the Air Asia Office on Jalan Imbi near the monorail station, as had to upsize my luggage, as had bought new luggage, but still wanted to take my old one home with me. I put the new hand trolley, inside the new suitcase to bring it home. Easily done and it didn’t cost anymore in the office, than doing it on the internet would have.

Went to Mines shopping centre on the way to the airport, to kill a few hours. Got to the airport at 8pm and saw those dreaded words on the board, flight delayed, and no time listed next to it.

We were able to check our luggage in, which they said they would hold in a separate area, as they were hoping that the plane would be repaired in time and it would only be a few hours delay. Worst case scenario was that a flight coming from China, would be used to do the KL – Perth run. Long night waiting at the airport. They gave us McDonalds vouchers, we weren’t hungry, so bought some nuggets and apple pies with the vouchers, and handed them out during the night to some of the other passengers. They also handed out free neck pillows and blankets. Also sandwiches and water was handed out, after midnight, once the last flight had departed.

We finally took off at 5.30am from KL, the time we should have been landing in Perth.

Cheers. Danuta.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

HI

So pleased you made it back, still a bit nervous, but the first step back is always the hardest. Glad the nasty piece of work got their just deserts!

Shame about the detailed flight, always a sour note.

Glad you had a good time, overall, and that Jalan Alo, at least, lives up to expectations..

Take care!

Thanks for sharing!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

Thanks for the JBR Danuta and so glad to see you got back on the proverbial bike after the bad experience last time. You showed that you would not let the mongrel win. Look after yourself and have a great Christmas.

Sean

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

Thanks Danuta. Great read as always.

Kerrie

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

Good to know that the "filthy animal" didnt stop you from coming back.

Yans is always good...after all its the "unofficial" meeting place for TA.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

Hi MK K

Hope to get to Yans one day to meet up with you and some of the other regular TA's . It would be good to put a face to the writings.

Sean

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

Sean, anytime you are in town, PM a few days in advance.

western aust
Level Contributor
610 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

hi Danuta,good on you for going back.I know that feeling,I had a bag snatched at the kl budget airport a few years ago,but you have to go back and dont let them win.sounds like you had a great time,thanks for the report.carnt wait for our trip there in july,jenny

8. Re: JBR 3 days in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:15