We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Hello, some advice please... I don't think that KLIA2 or the new Low Cost Terminal would have opened by 13 April 2013?

I've seen a lot of comments posted about connecting between KLIA and the existing LCCT but I need some specific advice please;

We (family of 5) are arriving on MH140 at 0430 and I'm hoping/planning to book seats on Air Asia AK1483 to Phnom Penh departing LCCT @0645.

Do you think that we will have sufficient connecting time at that hour of the morning?

I have arrived into KUL on MH140 in January 2012 for a 6 hour transit onto LHR and it was very quiet, so I'm hoping for no or hardly any immigration queues exiting KLIA.

We plan to have hand-luggage only, take the limo to LCCT and web checked-in for the AK flight to PHN. I'm also hoping that there will be fewer queues at LCCT around this time of the morning.

This gives us 2hours and 15 minutes to connect if MH140 arrives on time at 4.30am.

My logic; no bags to collect so faster transfer from MH140 to AK1483, take interconnecting terminal train from satellite to main terminal and get through immigration would take about 30-45mins to get to the KLIA limo/taxi rank with no checked-in bags; 10-15mins drive around to LCCT; so I'm hoping that it would take us 45mins-60mins to get to LCCT at around 5.30am or 5.45am.

We would have our boarding passes so simply get through immigration at LCCT.

The alternative is to book onto MH754 KUL/PHN departing at 0930 which means a 5 hour transit in KUL with 5 little kids, and at a cost of around MYR490 per adult and MYR426 per child = total MYR2258 versus MYR204 per person on Air Asia= half the price at MYR1020!

Or we wait for MH762 flight departing 1520 at a cost of MYR367 per adult and MYR333 per child = MYR1733.

sorry for a long post!

any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
979 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Hi

2 hours 15 minutes is very doable BUT (and it is a big but) it is a big risk. The easy thing is the transport between the two airports. Buy a coupon and jump into a taxi (probably a mini bus given your group). The journey time is 20 minutes.

You will need to do a document check at the Air Asia check in counter even if you have printed your boarding pass and have no check in luggage.

Immigration at KLIA is generally much quicker than LCCT simply because KLIA is not that busy.

My early morning experiences of LCCT is that it is rarely busy.

Now we come to the risk part. If your plane isdelayed arriving into KL by more than 30 minutes you are up the proverbial. If the queue at immigration takes more than 10 minutes (unlikely) you are in a similar position and then we go on from there.

If I was travelling alone I might risk it but with young children I thnk you are adding a lot of pressure to yourself.

Even when the new low cost terminal opens the decision/risk would be similar as the journey between the 2 terminals is the most reliable part of the connection equation.

Good luck

Edited: 30 December 2012, 02:42
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Hi

You a gambler? It is possible with a fair wind. But hitch and you are stuffed. Firstly have you read FAQ Time berween flights ---->> which is worth reading.

2hours 15.

Arrive @ 04:30, with no carry on you should have disembarked, cleared immigration and be at the taxi counter by 05:00. Then you have to allow 30 mins to buy your coupon, walk to taxi and travel the 20mins from KLIA to LCCT. Plus a bit more for children comfort breaks which can't wait! So, by 05:30 ish you will be ar LCCT.

If you have done a web check in you have until 06:00 to report for you flight.

You have a safety margin of around 30 mins.

For peace of mind I would go for a later flight, especially with 3 children. If you miss your air asia flight you will have to buy new tickets at the current rate for the next available flight.

So a gamble that only can decide on.

Take care.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Agree with the previous comments.

I would not chance it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,726 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

How do you plan to survive with only carry on louggage? Do note budget airlines and MAS have very strict carry on luggage dimension and weight rules.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
979 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

I also realised that you are trying to catch an international flight out of LCCT. My thoughts were really around transferring to a domestic flight.

That adds the immigration clearance at LCCT. Can be done in minutes if all goes well but sometimes it can take 10 minutes.

Just another pressure point and something to go wrong I am afraid.

If you are still wanting to risk it .....Before you make a decision go to the airline forums. There is often a site that tells you of the schedule reliability of each flight. My experience is that planes to Malaysia are most often on time (no delays at KL) but can sometimes be delayed by around 20 minutes in Oz leaving due to congestion. That being said you are catching the late night flight so congestion should not be a problem

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

maic

We've just travelled for 4 weeks on hand luggage for international flights

( Quantas). However I did check my bag in for Air Asia as it is larger and heavier than their dimension size. My bag weighs filled 12KG my husbands small backpack is 7KG. My laptop is carried in my handbag.

So yes it can be easily done.

OP check yuour bag sizes to see if they are compliant with Air Asia, if not pre book and pay to save money

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

LCCT baggage drop is not an issue as there are lots of counters. But, immigration lines may be the hurdle as there are at least a dozen international departures(Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Indonesia) around that time.

I had taken several flights around yr flight timing. It can be a breeze, but there were occasions when immigration was at a crawl.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 08:06
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

Thanks everyone; much appreciated - we have decided to book onto the MAS flight at 9.30am

9. Re: KLIA to LCCT for a 5am transit/connection in April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Kuala Lumpur