We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Something I have been wondering for a long time...

I was recently in KL and stayed at a hotel with lounge access.

The lounge waiters were really attentive and provided one of the best services I've ever received.

Hence, I really wanted to tip them for their great service, in the range of MYR6- 10. However, I'm afraid it may be too little?? They might perceive it as an insult? In the end. cowardly me didn't tip at all - still fell bad about it. The tip could have reinforced good service and brightened up someone's day.

What's the tipping culture like?

I asked because last year I stayed in Hotel Istana Lounge level and tipped the waiter MYR10. However, he didn't seem appreciative and kindof expected it, perhaps it was too little?

In contrast, when I was in Bangkok, I tipped the housekeeper 20 THB and she was beaming with joy - literally.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 19:08
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Tipping is not a usual practice in Malaysia as there is a service charge on all transactions.

However if you feel you have had exceptional service you can tip if you wish. For an excellent wait staff member a tip of RM10 would be OK.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,927 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Hi

Agree, tipping is not expected, always apprecited, however much or little. The waiter was probablyy shocked you tipped him!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Non tipping culture at Malaysia and Singapore.

Tip if you are happy with the service.

Tip already included inside the bill so the people was not expecting it .

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

The most we tipped was RM50 at Gardens executive lounge many years back (when their service was still good). That guy was really good and he was there most of the day we were there and it was around CNY so we wrote a thank you note and put the cash in envelope and passed it to him. He was quite happy.

We didnt tip any at horizon lounge at shangrila. Service was good but they're all like so atas so didn't feel the need or want to tip. Another time at shang, we tipped rm10 to the guy who checked us in b'cos he was so nice and carry our stuff and send us up to our room.

Usually, bell - rm5, housekeeping - rm 3-5 dep on standard of cleaning, turn down - rm 2-3 dep on service, restaurants - rm5-10 dep on service, mood and place. At times we don't tip at hotel restaurants if we're staying there. Quite troublesome to dig for cash when there's no cash involved.

We don't expect expectional service or thankfulness after we tip. But one time, this guy who did turndown service must be very happy b'cos he left double the no of water bottles in the room every night he did turndown for our room.

It's not in the cultural to tip but if we're happy with the service and mood is good, why not just leave some tip as they're just trying to earn a living like all of us and any extra income would be good.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

I agree that tipping is perfectly fine for someone who gives you exceptional service or goes above and beyond for you.

However to give a tip for just normal or average service I think should not be encouraged, as there is already a 10% service charge in most bills. Secondly it encourages and trains the service staff to expect tips, we wouldn't want Malaysia to become like certain neighbouring countries where a tip becomes almost obligatory and the service staff even go so far as to demand a tip from you irregardless of their performance.

An example of this are the taxi drivers, they became so used to receiving tips and big payoffs from foreigners that eventually they learned to start fleecing foreign tourists by demanding higher fares whenever a tourist steps into their taxis. Let's not do this for other service staff.

Just my humble opinion.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
695 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Ya my service is already bad enough with their guarenteed 10%.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Hi Jadamros - I don't think you're referring to Singapore as the neighboring country where tip is expected, right? It's really not the cultural here (not with ppl I hang out anyway).

I remember dining at this small restaurant that doesn't charge service charge and my friend had VIP card that gives her 10% discount. 4 of us ordered quite a bit of stuff and had quite a bit of demand on service staff. My friend even asked the waiter to packet the leftovers pancakes and add additional syrup separately. We didnt leave any tip. I felt quite bad but since we were the guest and my friend dines there 1-2 times/wk, we thought better not be rude or spoil market.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Smashedbunny. I hope you don't mean that service was bad. Generally I have found that service standards in Malaysia are way above those in Australia.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

@i_hate_mornings ... nope, not singapore ;-)

Edited: 01 January 2013, 09:43
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping a waiter? Done deal but would appreciate inputs

Haha Jadamros, ok :-)