We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question Re Currency

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Topic
Question Re Currency

Hi please could I ask for some advise .. I have checked the FAQ section re how much currency I can take into Malaysia, it states RM1000 per person however I have read this on the Foreign & Common Wealth Office website ....

Entry Requirements - Exchange control rules

Under current Malaysian exchange control rules, you may import or export up to 10,000 Malaysian Ringgit per person without prior approval. There are no limits on the amount of foreign currency (notes and or travellers' cheques) you may import or export. However, if your currency exceeds the equivalent of USD 10,000 you are required to declare this to the customs authorities on entry and/or exit. Penalties for non-declaration or false declaration include a fine of up to RM 1 million and/or up to three years’ imprisonment.

Can anyone please advise which is correct, I assume the FCO should be!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question Re Currency

The statement regarding USD10K is the current regulation.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question Re Currency

Just want to clarify then ... am I right to assume I can take more than 1000RM into the country next month when I travel to Malaysia and the information on Trip Advisor just requires updating ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question Re Currency

Yes that's right.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question Re Currency

Thanks, thats great :)

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question Re Currency

Don't change your money in the UK.

You'll get more for your pound if you wait until you get to Malaysia to exchange- even the money changers at KLIA will give a better rate!!

Edited: 21 January 2013, 20:07
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question Re Currency

Hi. I am also traveling to KL later this month. Can I just draw the Malaysian Ringgetts from the ATM machines there using my MasterCard or do I need to do currency conversion?

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question Re Currency

Hi. I am also traveling to KL later this month. Can I just draw the Malaysian Ringgetts from the ATM machines there using my MasterCard or do I need to do currency conversion?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question Re Currency

Yes, you can withdraw RM from a cash machine with your Mastercard.

Be aware that some machines are for local cards/customers only. We always try to use Maybank- just because they seem to be everywhere and we've never had any problems with them.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question Re Currency

Raw talent, is it easy to exchange money in KL, we are there for 3 days then onto Kota Kinabalu for 7 days, and want to make sure we have enough ringgits for the duration, instead of using credit card for everything!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question Re Currency

It is very easy to change money as here are banks and money changers all over the place in KL and Kota Kinabalu.

If you intend to use a card in ATMs make sure you advise your card provider as they may cancel it as fraud protection if you don't.