We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never use taxis in KL.

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Never use taxis in KL.

We've been in KL for a day, got in at 4am, and we know everyone like to rip off a tourist when they first arrive which is why we never catch cabs until we get an idea about prices from the hotel. Well as soon as we got off the bus, we were hounded by cab drives quoting over 30 RM for a 3 km drive( it should cost less than 10), and when I said no to a cab driver, he completely lost it, started swearing and abusing me in front of everybody saying how rude I was and all I was doing was standing there alone waiting for my husband to come out of the bus with our bags. A huge fight broke up when my husband arrived, the cab driver started to threaten to kill us, using such foul language, the other cabbies had to restrain my husband because a fight was about to break out. I'm 27 And we have both travelled a lot, and never feel unsafe and are quite travel smart, but I've never been to a city where we copped such abuse for no real reason. We were left very very insulted, these cab drivers are scammers, never out the meter on so u don't know how much it really costs, and unfortunately it ruins it for the decent cabbies. This is a common occurrence apparently. The train system in KL is quite good, so u shouldn't really need a cab, just be careful of the overly friendly ones. The guy who abused us started off overly friendly, but when I wouldn't listen or take his cab and not interact after saying no a couple of times, he lost it. just posting this as a warning!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

You certainly dont travel smart if you want to fight a local taxi driver. Common sense is to walk away and find another driver as you are the one in a foreign country and couild end up arrested or worse still in prison.

You will find a list of recommended drivers to the right of this forum under FAQs KL Drivers. I used Taufik who is listed and he does use the meter. Stay away from waiting taxi drivers at tourist sites as they are waiting for their next prey. I had several honest taxi drivers on my last trip who used the meter. They were the more elderly drivers.Get the ones driving past as you will get more chance of success.

Tommo

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

If you are a caucasian in Asia, Africa or south America, the chances are you won't get a fair taxi break. Believe me it sometimes takes several cabs before somebody will turn on a meter and I'm not paying 3 to 10 times the price. But I never argue, I just keep trying till I find one.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

What a terrible story, and so unprovked abuse . .

We normally use public transport.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

Hey Tom, i don't think I was all that clear with my first post. I wrote it while still upset. we did not need a taxi driver. I'd just stepped off a bus at the bus station, a long bus from krabi thailand to KL and started being bombarded with taxi drivers quoting 30rm for short journeys to train stations etc. As you do when ur a tourist stepping of a bus, or a train or a plane, even if u dont need one. We always use public transport and if we use cabs we know how much it should cost. Our hotel was a short walk from the bus station. We obviously stay away from waiting taxi drivers. This one wonuldnt leave me alone. I tried moving towards the luggage compartment to wait for my husband, said no politely, and then he starts abusing me loudly calling me nasty things and yelling at me all the things he is going to do to my mother, telling me how much of I b1t ch I am for not listening to him etc. when my husband pops out, abuse starts there too. We start to walk away but this man is still coming after us. My husband turns around and soon push comes to shove. The other cabbies stopes anything else from happening. Yes we should have kept walking and ignored the abuse. But Im just posting this just to let everybody be aware that KL has a serious issue with waiting taxis. They are known to be the worst in the world, and they do get quite aggressive and hostile. There are many posts about experiences all over the Internet even here in this forum. So just posting my experience, of unprovoked abuse, just soo people are aware of it. We never get into cabs unless we are happy with the prices, and we mostly use public transport. Bus train whatever. finding a fair cab driver was never the issue here guys.It was being abused by a random taxi driver waiting for tourist pray but getting angry amd abusive when finding out we didn't need a taxi at all. Thanks for the advice about getting a fairer taxi fare, but that was not the point of my post. It was an experience I wanted to share. My point being to not use those cab waiting for people. Touts.

Here are some links of more scams and abuse, and there are plenty more on trip adviser. So if you do use cabs, there is good advice in the KL faqs.

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Wila…

Edited: 05 February 2013, 08:32
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

answers.yahoo.com/question/index…

thestar.com.my/news/story.asp…

Just some more links. So again, stay away from waiting taxi drivers! And Tom, that's good advice if you are going to use a taxi. Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

If you start a fight with a tuk tuk driver in Phuket you probably would have been killed. Better to just walk away regardless of the provocation

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
900 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

Sorry to hear of your experience Maria. Here in Penang, it is the same. We don't use taxis unless it is absolutely necessary; they are licensed crooks. Thank goodness we have Rapid Penang buses.

Sydney
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

Been to Malaysia 5 times and never had a problem. Yes, I agree on the meter issue. But I'm not fussed, as I negotiate a fare I am comfortable with. As or your experience, sounds like a bad situation. I would bet it was not a professional driver but one ho was moonlighting.

Hope rest of the trip goes better.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 11:50
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

Why would you want to use a taxi when they have heaps of great public transport.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never use taxis in KL.

At this odd 4 am in the wee hour ,other public transport will not be operating.

Only choice is a taxi and in Kuala Lumpur never use a taxi that is laying waiting idle on the drop off zone,will always find easy target .These taxi driver all ganged up to con passenger.

Even police will not not dare to assist you.