We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of prescription glasses?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
cost of prescription glasses?

Just reading a thread about prescription glasses has made me want to but some in KL.. any idea on prices? There's no point if I'm only going to save a bit of money.

In the UK I got Prada frames with standard non reflective lenses for about £220 (about RM1070) Can anyone tell me how much theirs cost in KL?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,205 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

Hi

Prices are pretty similar to those in the UK, espeically if you have pretty standard lenses

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

so no point in getting them there really!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
880 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

Wow, we must be getting a good deal then....

The last two times we have visited KL we have been to "myEyes" in Sungei Wang plaza.

Service is fabulous, lovely attentive staff, turn around glasses in just hours.

In January just gone, I got two pair of frames with appropriately treated lenses, including one with transitional lenses for 280 MYR. Granted, the frames were not "name brands" and my prescription is for short sighted ness.

My wife had a pair of multi focal sunglass tinted lenses in a Ray Ban frame made for 570 MYR.

My daughter had three pair made, one pair of Ray Ban frames with tinted prescription lens, two regular pair for reading prescription for the grand total of about 800 MYR.

To me, that is an absolute bargain, and one of the best things t buy in all of KL for value.

Most optical stores have sales on all the time, like two for one etc. and most do have a large range of "name brand" frames. Included in the price is a "free" check of your current prescription. All done in minutes.

Last visit (2011) my wife got a pair of GUCCI frames with her multi focal lens for just under 600 MYR.

There are so many choices you'll get confused. We are back again in June for just one day transit, and we will definitely be getting more made up, for sure.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

mullos....I like your prices! I'm not really after designer frames but I do want nice ones and cheaper than the ones over here. I'll have a look and take my prescription with me in case I see ones I like at a good price

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

i think anything designer would be more expensive here because of their pricing strategy in asia. feel free to check and remember to ask for discount (50%), all the prices are marked up 100% e.g. a pair of dior sunglasses with a price tag of RM3000 is actually RM1500 . dont ask me why tho.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

Should I ask for a discount for prescription glasses even at the opticians? I thought that was only for markets....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
880 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

The optometrist will generally offer you a discount off the frames if you are getting lenses as well, especially if you get a couple of pair. I have never paid the ticket price.

A common discount structure if you are buying "no name" frames, is basically two for one. In January, myEyes (and other optometrists as well) had a sign in their window advertising 2 pair of glasses with no name frames for 175 MYR. There are heaps of frame styles to choose from. That is also for a standard prescription and non coated lenses - perfect if you just want spares for the car or around the house.

I always get them to upgrade my lenses to Hoya lenses for an additional 30 MYR ($10 AUD).

Seriously, the deals are ridiculously good. Read some other posts elsewhere in the forum and you will read the same sort of story. Glasses in the UK must be amazingly cheap also, based on previous posts !

You can't go wrong.

Enjoy.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,205 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

HI

You won't get a discount unless you really bulk buy, and it is very likley that a tourist will get 50% off!!. Many of the 'designer' glasses are not actually 'designer' but lookalikes, so be careful. When I have purchases lookalikes they are cheaper than the UK, but the real deal was not. Know what you would pay for the same product in the UK and then you will know.

What I paid £379 for in the UK [very complex verifoca], was £500 in Malaysia . . .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
880 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

TravellingMitch,

With the utmost respect, these prices are genuine and are available all over the place.

I don't think buying two pair is bulk.

And Johnathanlol is 100% correct that the prices of name brands are highly inflated, but come down to a realistic price when the order is confirmed.

If you wish, I can send you a copy of my receipt from about a month ago which confirms my prices ? Let me know how to do this and I shall.

The KL forum is full of similar threads for example one that is currently running

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k…

Llanitasunflower, the best advice I can provide you is to have a look around and I can guarantee you will save lots. If you want the contact details for myEyes let me know and I will pm them to you.

Enjoy KL

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of prescription glasses?

of course you do not ask for discount as though you are in the markets. just say ask them for a quote after discount, they will just minus 40-50% as standard practice. for spectacles, the price tag on the frame is more or less the price of the frame + lens. last year i bought a prada for fun, the price tag was RM1400, got it for (rm1400x50%) RM700+500 for lens = RM1200. . it also depends on what lens you are buying, my lens was some special lens and i am not shortsighted. as for sunglasses, they are sold at half price from the tag.

Edited: 13 February 2013, 09:10