We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

My partner and I are heading to phuket for our honeymoon and we are stopping over in KL. Is it worth spending a couple of nights in KL to go shopping and visit the sights? Is shopping cheap?

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

Yes shopping is cheap if you go to the right places... What exactly do you want to buy?

You can head to Petaling street (chinatown).

But my preferred destination for cheap shopping is Sungei Wang/ BB Plaza malls on Bukit Bintang, and the Berjaya Times Square shopping which is also a 5-min walk away at the backside of the above mentioned malls.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

definitely worth it!! even for a few days, i guarantee u will fall in love with KL!

to maximise ur time in KL i would suggest staying in the bukit bintang area.

as for shopping- the handbags and jewellery are amazing!! my wardrobes are currently bursting with bags i have bought from KL!!

happy planning!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

Yes, it is cheap for shopping if you go to the right place as suggested by RainmanMumbai. If you want replica stuffs go to petaling street (chinatown). You must know how to bargain to get good price. Suggest you just bargain 30-50% off the items.

If you need places to visit, have a look at this blog.

travellingtips.info/2013/01/must-see-places-…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

to be honest i found places like sungei wang/times square to be cheaper than petaling st

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

If Shopping is your thing then yes it is worth it to stay for a couple of days to shop and see the sites. With A 18 month old baby, i recommend you stay within the Bukit Bintang area and also shop that area. That way you won't be too far from your hotel if you kid needs to rest or at least he/she would be in a mall with a comfortable temperature.

Shopping near Bukit bintang,

Low yat, Sungei wang, Times square, KLCC, Pavilion and plenty more

Sight seeing

KLCC, Aquarium, Butterfly park, KL towers, Science centre @ KLCC.

Cheers

Edited: 18 February 2013, 02:52
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

I just bought a whole heap of baby stuff at Parksons in Sungei Wang. and also Sogo dept store.

I had to be very selective as my daughter doesnt like too frilly or to much fuss in the way of clothes. But still managed to find heaps and heaps. I overspent as it was so much cheaper than back at home. Espcially in the basics, like sheets, towells, wraps etc.

Agree with staying in Bukit Bintang area. You will do most of your shopping here and in the comfort of air conditioning.

The only thing I really need to warn you about, is the rough footpaths and high curbs. You need a stroller with good wheels. We bought a cheap $50 stroller from Target on our 1st trip, and it had those horrible hard plastic wheels. It was terrible. 2nd trip we took a good stroller with rubber wheels, and it was still hard work, but a lot easier than the 1st time.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

try to avoid bring big & heavy tram. take the slightly lighter tram- easy to handle.

bring some hats for the baby and stock his/her favourite food just in case msia do not have the same brand.

Penisular Malaysia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

Kuala Lumpur is ranked no 4 BEST city for shopping in the world by CNN and placed second in the asia pacific region. so yes definitely worth it.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

If you are bringing your baby everywhere then tour package wouldn't be bad because public transportation sometimes can be jammed in rush hours. If you are planning to go to places just avoid 8-9am and 5-6pm because it will be very crowded.

You can book hotel near shopping areas like Bukit Bintang or Berjaya Time Square, or even Sunway would do but Sunway is a bit further. I would suggest ParkRoyal Bukit Bintang, Istana Hotel, Radius International, JW Marriott, Farenheit Suites...there are so many hotels depend on your budget. ParkRoyal is good in city center, closed by train so you can go to other places easily.

parkroyalhotels.com/en/…index.html

hoteltrip.com/hotel/10030014-11284521O.html

orbitz.com/hotel/…

Shopping in KL is cheaper than in Phuket (if you don't shop in Pavillion) because Phuket right now is very touristy so they charge everything so high even for locals.

Regards,

Mini M

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kuala lumpur with 18 month old baby

Thankyou for all your responses and advice