We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petaling Street

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Petaling Street

Fellas,

I'll be in Kuala Lumpur for the whole week.Am just curios about this place called Petaling Street.Worth going?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Petaling Street

Hi,

Yes, petaling street also known as china town and if you want to buy replica bag, watches, clothes you can find it here. But you need to know how to bargain when you are there. try to bargain 30% -50% off the price. It's good place to see how local people do their business.

Have a look at this blog:

travellingtips.info/2013/01/must-see-places-…

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petaling Street

It's worth a dekko yes...

But I prefer the shopping at Bukit Bintang with its so many malls catering to all types of budgets. For cheap buys head to Sungei Wang and BB Plaza, and later behind to the Berjaya Times Square mall

Mentioned in this post
Bukit Bintang
Bukit Bintang
1,252 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Berjaya Times Square Kuala Lumpur
Berjaya Times Square...
2,415 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Medan
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petaling Street

i think buying or not you need to at least go and see it. its hectic, its humid, its messy and you will love it (well, i hope)

Anglesey Wales
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petaling Street

Definite worth a trip there we prefer to go during the day less crowded , evening is hectic but better atmosphere . Have fun bartering .

London
Level Contributor
103 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petaling Street

I wouldn't say it's a must see market, especially if you don't like shopping for fake designer goods, as this is what 99% of the market is about. But if you have a week in KL, and it's not too far out of the way, by all means have a look around this famous tourist stop. There are a few gems around the market, which I have written about in my review of it.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Also, it's within walking distance of Central Market, a more handicraft orientated tourist destination.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
884 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petaling Street

Eating at some of the small restaurants, having a very cold beer sitting outside watching the bustling people traffic passing by is also a great way to spend some time.

As the sun sets and the street lights come on, the atmosphere is terrific.

We've found the food quite good as well, on each occasion we have visited.

Not mad on the markets though - they are hard work, but as everyone has said, you've got to go and check it out.

Enjoy!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petaling Street

We were there 2 nights ago.I agree with the other posters. If fake handbags,DVDs andthe like are your thing go for it. We go for the experience not to buy. The night market in Hong Kong is better and if you've already been there I personally wouldn't bother.I agree that the Central Market is a much better option if you're looking for souvenirs,gifts for home etc.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petaling Street

its worth it for the experience even if ur not gna buy anything!!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petaling Street

Its hectic , hot and colourful and definitely worth the experience - but I prefer the market at Jalan Masjid India. :)

Mentioned in this post
Jalan Masjid India
Jalan Masjid India
625 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petaling Street

Mandw1544 If you have never done an Asian street market then it is worth it for the experience. If you have, whether I would go would depend upon whether you have much time to kill (there are better ways to spend your time) or whether you like knock off designer goods (and pretty bad ones by the look of it). Hope that helps.