We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

I'm flying from Vancouver to Singapore in May and will spend a week there. I still have another 5 days holidays and am contemplating going to Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong. Been to HK several times so I was thinking KL might be a nice change of pace. I'll be attending a conference in Singapore so just looking for some down time afterwards: walking, seeing the sights, hotel swimming pool etc. Will be traveling solo. Thoughts?

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Hello!

Since you have travelled to Hong Kong before why not try KL? I personally prefer KL over Singapore: more diverse, bigger, more chaotic. ;)

You can fly or take a bus fr Singapore. I would recommend you to take a bus and stop in Malacca. It is a nice city to walk around and a pretty good place to shop around. ;) Interesting and the food is pretty good.

Nerja
Level Contributor
12 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Hi , I just cruised from Singapore to Port Klang and then took a bus ride to KL but Singapore was much nicer. If I wanted something different from a big city like either KL or HK , I would head to another part of Malaysia. can you not travel further into Malaysia or do you have to be in a city ? I thought Langkawi was beautiful . Lots to offer as well as an amazing beach ..

3. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 03:30
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Would cost be a factor? KL is considerably cheaper than Hong Kong in almost all aspects except maybe shopping.

First- Getting there.

Its a 3 hour flight to Hong Kong vs a 45min flight (or a 6 hour bus).

Second- Accomodation

The Sheraton Hong Kong costs approx HKD 2,000 (Approx RM 800 ), the W Hong Kong HKD 3300 (RM 1320) a night vs the similar (Sheraton) Imperial costs maybe RM300 a night, Westin RM 450..sorry KL no W yet.

Third- Food

A local meal in HK, at many tiny noodle shops, would cost about HKD 50 a person (RM 20). Similar can be had in KL for about half of that.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

Thanks so much for your comments. Kuala Lumpur it is and a friend also recommended spending some time in Melaka. So now I'm trying to figure out if the best way to do that is to take the train from Singapore to KL and then go back on a day trip to Melaka. Or would you take the bus to Melaka, spend a few nights and then go to KL for a few nights.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

I would say a definte YES! to staying in KL! There is just something magical about that city! Not as utopian as Singapore and therefore has a more of a character and culture about it. Would definetely recommend staying in the Bukit Bintang area. It is a really lively area with lots going on.

Also you can stay in KL then go stay/day trip to Melaka as its only two hours away by taxi from KL.

You wont regret it!!

Edited: 26 February 2013, 20:30
Singapore
Level Contributor
171 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

The train station has shifted to the north of Singapore in Woodlands which is just across the city of Johor Bahru, Malaysia. Unless your hotel is near the north which I doubt, I would not recommend taking the train as the trains here are quite slow imho.

You might want to try taking a bus which has services to KL or Melaka, depending on your planned destination.

One such company, Aeroline, is based at the Harbourfront Center which is served by 2 MRT lines.

https://www.aeroline.com.sg/

Many others are also available at Beach Road, which is not really near any MRT station imho.

8. Re: SIngapore then Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:16