We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice, which way to go?

We will be in KL for 3 nights in April. Last time we visited with our teenagers and stayed in an apartment at the Prince (we were staying longer). We loved the Location of the Prince, so close to our favourite shopping mall, the Pavillion.

This time it is just husband and I travelling and we fancy being spoiled a bit! We are looking for a lovely club/executive room, preferably with a view, walking distance to Pavillion and other shops.

Husband LOVES a good Executive Lounge/ Club, so the quality of the Lounge offerings are critical. A good breakfast, including local specialties, all day coffee/soft drinks and snacks and a REALLY nice cocktail hour in the evening.

So, where to choose? I am thinking either Traders or the Shangri-La, but is the Shangri-La walking distance to everything? And are Traders rooms "luxurious"? The Mandarin is a bit expensive compared to the others (and this visit is only supposed to be a stopover on the way back from the Middle East to Australia) both Traders and the Shangri La seem to have very good prices.

We are not really looking at doing the sights this time, just relaxing in a lovely hotel, going for a walk...and shopping!

Any thoughts on either of those choices...or any other suggestions? All input much appreciated!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Shang will be better. Only 5-10min walk to klcc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Thanks maic

It looks great in the photos and their pool is better than Traders.

I have had another look on the map and it seems to be close to one of the mass transit stops so should be easy to get around from there.

Hoping its walking distance in a round about way to Pavillion. We loved their food court and supermarket. And my husbands all time favourite KL shop is there...the Zwilling JA Henckels Store!

My Tho, Vietnam
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

You can try Novotel

Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

If Pavilion is one of your main destinations, perhaps the following may help:

Have stayed in both club rooms for Grand Millenium & Parkroyal. Pros & Cons 4 both:

Grand Millenium - next to Pavilion!, great food at lounge, room not that special

Parkroyal - room fantastic, club lounge vast, food options less than Grand Millenium, pool scene OK

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,922 posts
1,626 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

The Novotel is the closest to the Pavillion Mall but the club room and food isnt that special. We find it offers great value and a great location but isnt what you are looking for based on your requirements.

Tommo

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

The Shangri-La is a 5 star hotel and has won numerous awards.

The traders belong to the same hotel chain but is 4 stars.

The Shangri-La has very nice restaurants in house if you want to splurge -

Lafite is the best french restaurant in KL

Zipangu serves interesting jap fusion

The Lemon Cafe serves a wicked buffet soem say is one of the best.

Havent been in a while but the Shang Palace was excellent a few years back.

It is a bit of a walk to the Pavalion, you can also take the monorail.

However, the Shang is close to Menara KL, is just across the street to the many bars (including Hard Rock Cafe) so if you are game for some action its idealy located as well.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 03:54
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Shangri La's would be nice for facilities and services are good. Grand Millenium lounge is nicer but I think their room rates are too high for the room itself. Bukit Bintang area have many great lounges and it is by the hotel so you can also look for those.

www.shangri-la.com/kualalumpur/shangrila/

hoteltrip.com/hotel/10030014-10212711O.html

orbitz.com/hotel/…

Istana Hotel is great, yes I always recommend this hotel. It is just my favorite of all time. Breakfast is nice, afternoon tea and room itself is big and new with Petronas Towers view. You can check out their website, it is 5* but cheaper than all international brands.

http://www.hotelistana.com.my/

Regards,

Mini M

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Thanks for all the suggestions, as long as we have easy access to the monorail we can ride/walk to Pavillion. Our highest priorities are lovely room and great club benefits.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Shangri La is definitely the luxurious choice in KL!

Enjoy!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Choice, which way to go?

Looks like Shangri-La it is!

Thanks for all the help!