We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in KL

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in KL

Hi my family and I are travelling to KL in April. I was thinking of not packing very much so that I will have enough room to SHOP SHOP and SHOP! Can I buy brands that are available back home, for clothes, shoes, handbags and perfume? My sons like the surf brands too, am I able to buy those there? What are the prices like?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,565 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in KL

Hi

You can buy just about anything in Kuala Lumpur, branded, non-branded and replica.

Prices range depending on quality and size, and with the good exchange rate for the AU$ you will find prices cheaper than at home.

If you are girly shopping if over a 12 dress or 39 shoe you will struggle for choice, there are things but they become limited as you get larger in size.

Most branded stuff is the same price the world round, it is the local taxes and exchange rates that make the difference

Local brands are cheap.

The replica stuff will depend on what you can bargain it for.

You will find eveything and more.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in KL

if you are shopping at the sungei wang plaza, do drop in to the parkson grand department store and have a look at the menswear there. there are other parkson stores but this one seems to be more reasonably priced.

agree with TM in post #1, clothing for ladies over size 12 tends to be oldish. have found over many trips (and lots of wasted $$$ later) that the colours that suit the tropical climate there do not suit me back here in sydney (but that could just be a personal preference thing)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in KL

On Bukit Bintang, between the monorail and Pavilion shopping mall, there is a Rip Curl store.

Full of genuine surf product. Prices are generally 30% cheaper than in Australia. They do always have some serious sales or specials on offer as well. Your boys may be able to grab a bargain.

Replicas in Petaling St (Chinatown) markets are all over the place and very cheap.

You'll have a ball. Enjoy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in KL

These days, I find that perfumes are cheaper here in Australia at the discount pharmacies, rather than in Malaysia, Singapore or Hong Kong.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 22:34
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in KL

Good info from all the above and concur. For Surfwear I have purchased T Shirts on each of our trips to KL from Petaling St Night Market and still have them all. The quality does vary so have a feel before you purchase from the stallholders. Brands such as Billabong and Diesel as well as many more. Obviously they are knock offs but very cheap and available in large sizes as well. Shopping Centres such as The Pavilion and Sungei Wang are popular as well as places like SOGO , well worth a visit for its handbags and shoes. Peter Hoe is a great homewares shop and there are so many more. Also the opening hours are far more generous than Hobart , although I do love Hobart. Have fun in KL.

Sean

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in KL

Thank you all for your replys, I love Trip advisor! This site has helped me so much in preparing our first overseas trip. I'll be sure to post our experience when we come home.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,565 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in KL

Look forward to that, love a JBR or trip report!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in KL

Mid Valley Mega Mall, has lots and lots of genuine brand names stores. Easy to get to.

The other shopping centre I get brand names from is 1 Utama. A bit further out, will cost about rm30 on a metered taxi.

But dont be afraid to buy local Malaysian brand products. Good make & quality.

Have bought heaps of knock offs at Chinatown night markets. As mentioned above, check the quality, as there is good and bad stuff there.

KL is handbag & shoe heaven, but with shoes you are limited to the sizes that TM quoted.

Handbags, some really good quality bags at Chinatown, prices vary, but rm60 / 70 would be a good price for knock offs.

Sungei Wang has some local brand handbags. I buy these as they are a different style to what we get back home.

But do check out Parksons at Sungei Wang and the Pavilion, for everything from clothes to shoes to bags.

My daughters have bought some great UK brand clothes at Parksons at the Pavilion. They were cheaper than they can buy them on-line.

Cheers. Danuta.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 03:23
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in KL

Great thank you!

10. Re: Shopping in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:17