We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Hello,

We arrive at KLIA at 6.25am and depart KLIA at 10.20pm. Have booked a room in airport for nap if tired. We would like to plan an outing for the first 1/2 of the day. (Will check bags through, so can skip the baggage collection time).

Shopping is not on our wishlist, nor markets.

The Putrajaya area looks very interesting architecturally. It looks like it could be visited by train, but I suspect a private tour might be wise.

Any suggestions? I scrolled through some of the private day tour companies, but got a little concerned with so many having single review posters giving 5*.

I presume it might be wise to pre book something and get pick up at airport? Or arrange with a taxi driver at the airport instead? (The costs quoted by 1 company seemed very cheap at 140RYM p p. )

Any thoughts on this?

Much obliged.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

See faq on the right for drivers with ++ feedback.

I would recommend a putrajaya tour and maybe sepang gold coast with a dinner in denkil

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

You can't visit Putrajaya by train from the airport, as the KLIA ekpress is a direct route from the airport to KL Sentral.

Arriving at 6:25am I would be tempted to have the nap at the beginning of the day, as not much is open that early. If all goes well and with no bags to collect you will be clear by 7am.

Even if you then head to Putrajaya it will be 7:30am latest and nothing is open.

It is not necessarily wise to book beforehand, unless of course you want to. Personally (and having the nap and freshen up first) I would just head to the taxi counter and hire a taxi for the tour - much simpler 140myr per person is not really cheap, given that a taxi to Putrajaya is 65myr, so you are probably paying x2 the going rate.

Personally given the time you have I would get the train or taxi to the city and enjoy the things other than shopping - PETRONAS Towers, KL Menara [tower], Lake Gardens, Chinatown, etc etc. Lots of great places to eat.

You will need to be back at the airport around 9:30pm.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Thank you both for your replies. A taxi to create my own tour might be the better option. Also leaves us with more flexibility with times.

Much appreciate your thoughts. :)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

You can actually visit Putrajaya by train from KLIA. Instead of taking KLIA Express train which goes direct to KL Sentral, you should take the KLIA Transit train which stops at Putrajaya/Cyberjaya station. A one-way ticket to that station from KLIA on KLIA Transit is just MYR6.20 per person.

At Putrajaya/Cyberjaya station, they have a taxi counter where you can buy a coupon for a taxi service either to go to a specific destination or just to travel around Putrajaya within a certain time frame.

For a 2-hour tour, you have to pay only MYR75 for a budget taxi. Other options available are premier taxi service (MYR130) and executive service (people carrier, suitable for 5-7 pax, also at MYR130). While the taxi drivers at Putrajaya/Cyberjaya station are not tour guides, they would know where to bring you around in Putrajaya. There are also options for a shorter- and longer period tour.

http://tinyurl.com/PutrajayaTour

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Thanks so much for that link, great information on sites and transport options. Brilliant photos. There is more to see than I realised, so I think I could easily focus my time here and hopefully get to visit the inside of Putra Mosque as well. Many thanks. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Reporting back.....We did as suggested, taking the transit train from KLIA to Putrajaya/ Cyberjaya station, then booked a taxi for 2 hours (the taxi counter is right by the taxi rank downstairs).

Anonymou5, I used your photo gallery (printed out) to show the driver what I wanted to see.... , he took us to the Moroccan pavilion as well (stunning), his suggestion. The mosque was closed until 3pm, but, the visit was just amazing, loved the architecture, the nearby gardens, the bridges.

Thanks for your help, it really is an easy outing on the train and there is so much beautiful architecture to enjoy.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Thank you for reporting back, also to Anonymou5. The links you have included are great.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

@ozzie2010,

Thanks for reporting back. Am just happy to have been of some help :-) Glad that you enjoyed your visit to Putrajaya. I have been telling my friends that Putrajaya is totally worth a visit especially if one is into architecture (or at least appreciate beautiful buildings) and photography. And the visit can be done quite easily too. I would definitely check out the Moroccan Pavilion and the gardens the next time I'm in town. So thanks for the heads up too :-)

@ydd60, thank you :-)

Edited: 24 July 2013, 10:26
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Great feedback!

Thanks.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Putrajaya visit during long transit?

Hi all,

We arrive at KLIA at 8 am and depart at 11:50 pm. I want to stop at Putrajaya in the morning on the way to KL central or in the night on the way to KLIA from KL central. When is a good time to visit the place? I understand that the putra mosque will be open only till 5 pm. Please share your thoughts.