We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip June 2013

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Our trip June 2013

When planning our trip to KL I used this Travel Forum extensively. I found it very helpful and informative and one of the things I liked most were other peoples JBRs. I was going to write a blow by blow description of our trip but have decide to just include places we visited, places we ate and our impressions of KL.

We recently spent 7 nights in KL and loved every minute of it. We flew Air Asia, and I must say we were pleasantly surprised; I prebooked food, luggage, our seats and entertainment units. Our seats were very good, food fine, flight crew very friendly and flights on time,very smooth and uneventful, just the way I like it. We even arrive back in Melbourne 50 minutes early.

LCCT was very chaotic but we survived and it served its purpose. Bought a taxi voucher for Premier Taxi and headed for our hotel. The traffic flowed well until we reached KL Central and hit a bit of traffic but not too bad for an early Friday evening.

We stayed at the Parkroyal Service Suites and would highly recommend, the location is great and the apartment was spotless and staff very helpful and friendly.

Places we visited: Petronas Towers, although a little smoky due to fires in Indonesia I would say this is a must do when in KL. We received a 50% discount as we are seniors but would still have been worth it if we had paid full price. My husband hates heights but he still enjoyed it. We also saw the light show at the water fountains is was excellent.

Eat, Love Pray tour with Be Tourist. Loved this tour, Leng lead the tour and she was fantastic. We walked to Central Market from our hotel and being 8am Saturday morning it was a very pleasant walk. Found Be tourist easily and even had time for a coffee before our tour.

Istana Negara on Jalan Istana, this is the old Royal Palace not the new one. We took the monorail to Tun Sanbathum and walked there by crossing the main road via the overhead bridge and headed up the little (steep) stairs next to the school. The track leads to the back of the old palace then you follow the fence to the main gate, I think the only other way to get there is by taxi. It costs 10myr to enter and no photos are allowed, don't miss this site, it’s really worth it.

Booked our Malacca Tour with Anuar, thanks to recommendations from this Forum. Anuar was the perfect guide. He was punctual, entertaining, informative, a good driver and a lovely guy. This was a long day (stopped at Putrjaya on the way back to KL), but very enjoyable.

Islamic Arts Museum, got last walking the from the LRT but with some help eventually found the museum. Very impressive building and displays.

Places we ate:

Pavilion food court: clean, modern, busy, loved the food

Lot 10 Hutong: chaotic, crowded, confusing. Food good

Din Tai Fung Pavilion: great yum cha

Sungei Wang Plaze: went to the food court on the 6th floor but is was very crowded. Saw signs for a new food court on the 3rd floor so we ate there. Very nice cheap food, good variety.

Wong Ah Wah Jalan Alor: Pleasantly surprised with Jalan Alor after reading lots of adverse reviews. It was busy with lots of locals eating there. The food was delicious and compared with some other foodie streets in Asia did not find it as dirty as some reviews stated. Wong Ah Wah is a very busy place so therefore the food is freshly cooked and their chicken wings are to die for.

Madam Kwan KLCC Surie Mall: Very busy, had to wait about 15 minutes to get a table. Food enjoyable and reasonably price for location.

Restoran Nagasari Curry House: had breakfast here about 3 times, very nice Roti Canai

Imbi Market: walked here one morning to try Sister Popiah but unfortunately they were closed for a week, bad timing. We ate from another stall, not sure what we ate but it was very nice. Lots of locals stop to eat here on their way to work.

Didn’t do too much shopping, bought supplies from the chemist, souvenirs for the family and some polo shirts for hubby.

We did a lot of walking whilst in KL and needless to say we got lost a lot. The roads twist and turn and if not careful you can become completely disoriented. As my hubby says “it isn’t a good holiday if we haven’t gotten lost at least once.”

The monorail and LRT are very good and easy to use, we also found the covered walkway to KLCC very handy and used it a number of times.

Most of our days were spent sightseeing in the morning, lunch then a few hours at the pool then eating and shopping during the evening. There are still some places in KL we did not get to visit but we will be back again soon.

I would like to thank all of you for information and advice you freely impart. I have found this Forum to be very helpful and very tolerant when some of us ask stupid question.

Thank you.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,980 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip June 2013

Hi

Glad you had a great time. It is always such fun to read other peoples experiances.

We always use them there big old pointy things as a guide (Petronas Towers!)

Thanks for sharing your trip

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip June 2013

Sounds like you fell in love with KL like the regulars on here :D glad you enjoyed KL and seems like you had a mixture of relaxing times with the busy days which is a great holiday

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip June 2013

great JBR.....enjoyed your tips.

Could you please advise how you booked the serviced suites at Parkroyal and also how much they cost per night? How big are they?

Also, is the restaurant where you had yum cha easy to find?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip June 2013

I love reading other peoples JBR's too - thanks for sharing. Can you tell me where Restoran Nagasari Curry House is?

For NessBali - Din Tai Fung is relatively easy to find in the Pavillion shopping mall, be warned it can be quite busy and you may have to wait a while for a table during the usual meal times - but thats okay, because they give you an order form and you can peruse the menu on the front window, and work out what you want to order before you are seated - not a bad way to fill the time and keep the restaurant ticking over. When you enter Pavillion from Bukit Bintang veer left and head up to Level 6.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip June 2013

thanks for the directions, will take note. What are the prices like compared to Aust? Guess it is great if they are busy all the time. Great idea to take orders while you wait. I can leave hubby waiting while I shop and he can call me when table is ready!!!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our trip June 2013

Hi TN007, the Restoran Nagasari Curry House is on Jalan Nagasari which is behind the Isatana Hotel and across the road from where we stayed. It is open 24 hours and does a good trade.

Nessbali we booked Parkroyal Serviced Suites on their 1800 number, you can book on line but as we booked months in advance this option was not available. Their website is parkroyalhotels.com/en/…index.html. It shows all their suites and apartments, there is also a virtual tour on the home page.

When we went to Din Tai Fung we had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated, whilst waiting we filled out our order. When you are given the menu the attendant will advise you of the wait time. Their prices are very reasonable, a bit cheaper than in Australia.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our trip June 2013

I tend to find that most of the food prices are somewhat aligned to what you would expect to pay in AU$ you end up paying in RM...having said that though, I think 4 of us paid about RM90-110 for 4-5 top quality dishes at DTF. Their soup dumplings are luscious and even their baby green beans (with pork mince) are to die for!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our trip June 2013

Thanks got sharing , I really enjoyed reading your trip report.

. I am visiting KL in sep with my husband for 8 nights so is malacca worth doing '?how long was the trip ?

Thanks Ruba

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our trip June 2013

Ruba we went to malacca and it is very beautiful - it has a lot of the old Chinese houses, and if you love wooden items and antique type of items it's a great place to shop in Jonkers st. Has a great museum that shows a lot of historical information. It was a really enjoyable day for us and I would go again. Being that you have 8nights it's a good daytrip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our trip June 2013

Thanks Jacks24

I will put it on my to do list ( it's growing by the minute ) thanks to you and all the TA members :)

Ruba.