We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hit while crossing the road

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
hit while crossing the road

Just a word of warning, not all traffic stops for a red light in kl. Yesterday I was crossing and had green light, 2 lanes of traffic stopped, but truck ran the red light and ran me down. Thrown about 10 m, and ended up in hospital, I'm OK and police, ambulance and hospital staff were great. ( unbelievably, nothing broken, but lots of swelling and bruises) Police inform me that trucks often run the red lights, so please, be very careful when crossing roads in kl. Cheers john

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,804 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hit while crossing the road

Glad you are ok and lived with just a few bruises to tell the tale. Don't think this is a problem solely in Kuala Lumpur, it is not uncommon in the UK, especially where we have many overseas lorries deliverying freight.

We always treat a green light for us as pedestrians with caution and don't assume all vehicles will stop.

Hope the bruises fade soon!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hit while crossing the road

Hi John, glad you are ok with nothing broken, you had al lucky escape. I always find crossing the road there scary but didn't know about the trucks. I've always been concerned about all the motorbikes. Thanks for letting us know & have a speedy recovery

Sarah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hit while crossing the road

Oh my!

Relieved to read that you are OK with surprisingly 'little' injuries.

Hope those bumps and bruises heal quickly.

Crossing the road in many parts of Asia can be an experience!.....like in Hanoi where every crossing can be a test of your nerves.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hit while crossing the road

Good to know you are okay.

Unfortunately, as in much of South-East Asia, the rules of the road (or jungle perhaps) is the bigger you are, the more right of way you have. So pedestrian, being on the lowest rung of precedence after bicycles, motorcycles, cars, vans, buses and trucks - are at the mercy of the others.

Watch out especially for motorcycles, they are the chief culprits of running red lights in this country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
694 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hit while crossing the road

Glad to hear that you are OK and thanks for sharing it with us. Crossing the road in KL is one of things that I am always worried when visiting KL especially when my kids are with me. My daughter was almost hit by a motorist during our recent trip. Hope you feel better soon.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hit while crossing the road

I was a bad road crosser until I visited taipei, I didnt even want to cross the road there. I have improved greatly with KL experience and amazed my family. Get well soon

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hit while crossing the road

Happy to hear you survived to tell the tale, hope you're ok soon------------I did learn that i'd rather walk a bit further and cross where the green light goes for the pedestrians, & even then didn't start crossing until all the crowd did.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,603 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hit while crossing the road

You're right Tarni. Crossing with the crowd is always a good idea, but unfortunately this stilll doesn't mean that all will be well.

Glad to hear that things are not as bad as they could have been having been in the path of an angry and illegal truck. Do hope that this didn't spoil your holiday too much even though you spent some time in hospital.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hit while crossing the road

Oh no! Hope you are ok

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hit while crossing the road

Glad you are ok John. The traffic in Asia can be very hectic and there are runners of red lights . This combined with unfamiliar roads can be tricky to get across. The rest of your trip should be good now and glad you got good care. Have a great remainder of your trip.

Sean