We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia transfer int to dom

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
415 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia transfer int to dom

Hi all,

We arrive in KL at 5.20pm and need to transfer to a domestic flight to Penang. I've left some time for the transfer to happen. The flight to Penang doesn't leave until 8.50.

Can someone tell me how far away we'll have to go with our bags, clearing immigration/customs etc

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

The LCCT at KL is a compact terminal so you will be going through immigration, baggage collection, customs then back into the main part of the terminal to check in for your Penang flight.

Not that much of a walk, think of it like a very large circle!

You have given yourself more than enough time to get everything done and have a sit down for a coffee/food.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

As said above, you have enough time.

For further peace of mind, you can web check-in in advance for your flight to Penang and save some more time

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,909 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

3.5hours is more than enough to travel around 50 meter.

Web check in does save 15mins, but the queues can be longer than the check in desks themselves! So what you gain on one hand you lose on the other!

Sydney
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

Hi Suedev? Are you flying from Sydney?

If so did you book a ticket Sydney - Penang or 2 separate tickets (Syd - KUL the KUL - Pen)?

Edited: 28 September 2013, 23:06
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
415 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

Yes and yes

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
415 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

thanks, just wasn't sure if I had to get to another terminal.

I wanted to leave some time, just in case of delays, didn't wan to cut it too short

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

Its all the one terminal - just arrive at the international arrivals section and once cleared - go to domestic departures

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

The line at domestic is usually very long. So make sure you head straight for the domestic bag drop counter (assuming you've done web check-in, otherwise you can check in at any of the machines at the airport) immediately.

Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

Your only hold up may be at Immigration as the line ups there are sometimes awful. On occasion, it's taken us an hour to get through but you still will have enough time. Try to get off the plane asap & head directly for immigration - try to beat the crowd from your plane. Doesn't mean there won't be another 5 planes already lined up - Make sure yu have filled out your immigration forms before you get to immigration line.

Sydney
Level Contributor
143 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia transfer int to dom

Good news. No more immigration forms. Well at least not the last time I flew there January this year.