We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

Hey!

Looking for some ideas for two or so weeks in Malaysia/Thailand from mid November.

We like beaches and want to relax as much as possible, but are good travellers in respect to trains/buses and being happy to slum it a little.

Any recommendations would be helpful, we were looking at Langkawi, Tioman, Pangkor etc.

Realistically will we get around to all three with enough travel time?

I've been to Tioman before and loved it. Is the weather good enough to get the ferry over mid november?

Thanks in advance

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

November is the start of the north-east monsoon, which affects the small islands in the east coast like Tioman. Unless you are fine with imperfect weather and rougher seas, it would probably be wiser to avoid the islands of the east coast.

Langkawi and Pangkor are on the west coast in the Straits of Melaka, and are okay to visit during November. However being in the Straits, the waters are not crystal clear like what you can find in Tioman and the east coast.

You could combine Langkawi with Koh Lipe just across the border in Thailand, where the water is crystal clear.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

Hi Pollyoni

Currently at Langkawi & I know it's only early October but the weather is absolutely gorgeous today!

Staying at Casa Del Mar & if you want to swim in the ocean, they rope off a huge section that is safe to swim in :)

If you stay at Casa & highly recommend it, it's best to laze on one of their sun beds on the beach :)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,125 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

Hi

October / November is change over time, no one knows when the change will happen, but it is just the change of wind or monsoon that impact either the east or west side of the Peninsular. It does not mean it will rain, only that there is more a risk of rain and the sea will be not nearly as calm.

November I would be opting for the west coast - Penang, Langakwi (in Malasyia - yep that is just about it). Phuket, Ao Nang [Krabi], Koh Lanta, Khao Lak in Thailnd to name a few. All fit the beaches and relax.

I would not opt for Tioman as it is sort of the wrong time of year. Langakwi is pretty laid back, so would fit the bill. Pangkor is small and not that wonderful and not that easy to get to, you will need to allow half to a full day each way. Penang is a better option.

You could do Langakwi and Penang, or Langakwi and Pangkor in 2 weeks easily.

Personally I would more north towards Thailand if you want the beaches!

4. Re: Two-ish weeks flying in and out of KL, we like beaches!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:19