We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Hi Guys,

I am flying malaysia airlines from Bangalore to Phuket.

My flight from bangalore arrives at KLIA @ 7 am, then flight from KLIA departs @ 9.35 am to phuket same day (lay over time 2 hrs 35 mins). I have some questions regarding this.

- Do i need a Malaysian Visa to swtich flights at KLIA? (As, thailand offers visa on arrival, i will be travelling without any visa).

- From which terminal does international flights of Malaysia airlines operate?

- How much time would it take to switch flights @ KLIA?

Regards

Sombir

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,609 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

As both segments are with MAS on international route you will be a transit passenger so do not need a visa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

No visa needed for transit passengers as long as you stay within the airport. Plenty of time to go from one gate to another in the Satellite Building where you will be arriving and departing.

Sands
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Please note Transit without Visa (TWOV) facility is offered to Indian Sub Continental Countries citizens. Also as you mentioned you have a layover of 2 hrs 35 mins which should be more than enough to switch flights at KLIA. Malaysia Airlines operates from both the terminals and many international airports operate from Terminal 1 better clarify the same with MAS.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Hey Sombir,

How did you flight go?

Did you apply for any visa or did you face any issue while travelling to Thailand with Malaysia Airlines without any visa without you?

I am planning a similar trip from Delhi and was looking for help.

Thanks,

Siddharth

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Hi,

It depends which flight schedule from DEL to HKT via KUL,as some schedules have long lay over and overnight,of which MH may require you retrieve luggage,and as such transit visa will then be required,but if MH states that your luggage will be tagged to HKT,you do not require visa as long you remain airside,in transit zone.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 13:42
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

Hi Siddharth,

In my case I switched flights at KLIA & all my flights were with malaysian airlines.

No visa is required to switch flights at KLIA.

You`ll get visa on arrival in thailand.

However, make sure that you book your luggage for the end destination when you board from delhi.

Also, keep a buffer of an atleast an hour between 2 flights to avoid any last minute issues.

Regards

Sombir

Edited: 17 July 2014, 15:33
7. Re: Do i need a visa to change international flights in KLIA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 07:16