We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does ++ after prices mean?

Northern California
Level Contributor
166 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
What does ++ after prices mean?

I've seen this on a few websites for restaurants. For example, what does 100RM++ mean? I suspect it means tax and tips/service charge? Probably obvious to many ... just not to me :-) Thanks!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

One of the + is for the mandatory 6% service tax imposed by the government.

The other + is for 10% service charges which some restaurants impose in lieu of tipping.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,439 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

Yes it does relate to the gst/taxes.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

Malaysia hasnt imposed GST yet. The 6% is a service tax and the 10% is not even a tax.

So RM100++ basically means RM116.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 05:54
Northern California
Level Contributor
166 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

oh, too bad. I was hoping it meant "total price". Since we're on the subject, is tipping something expected in Malaysia for a "nicer" restaurant? Would 10% suffice? I'm taking a cab from KLIA to Melaka. What would be an appropriate tip for sufficient service? Sorry for going off topic. Thanks!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

As mentioned above, the 10% service charge is collected by the restaurant in lieu of tipping. Tipping is not the culture in Malaysia, and there is no need to tip unless a waiter or service provider goes above and beyond to do something for you out of the ordinary.

Similarly for the taxi, there is no need to tip, unless they have done something extraordinary for you.

6. Re: What does ++ after prices mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:20