We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Hi, my husband and are I travelling into KL from the UK via Dubai with Emirates. I now need to book a separate ongoing flight from KL to Kota Kinabalu. We will arrive into KUL at 14:55 so I am wondering how much time to allow for the transfer. This is a completely separate booking so I can't arrange for check in/our bags to be transferred automatically. I am assuming we'll need to go through customs and then onward for the next flight. So I am estimating time for: disembarking, customs, baggage collection, transfer to other terminal (I think there is a different domestic terminal to the international one?) and then check in and security for the onward flight. Between 3-4 hours? I was looking at flights at 18:05, 19:00 or there is one at 20:45 but that seems like a long time to hang around the airport. Any advice would be much appreciated as we haven't been to KUL before so all new to us. Thanks in advance!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,984 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Which airline did you book? Much less hassle if you book malaysian airlines. You will just be a transit passenger. If you book airasia, then life just got a lot more complicated.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Hi maic, thanks for your reply. I haven't booked the flights yet but if you suggest Malaysian Airlines is more straightforward, then that's what I'll do. Having looked at a few other strands on TA about the transfers, I think it suggests Malaysian would be in the same terminal as the international arrivals? Is that right?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

If you have not booked your flights yet it would make more sense and a lot less stress and bother to book with Malaysia Airline with your onward flight as Maic suggested.

Emirates (EK) have a interlining agreement with Malaysian (MAS) meaning you can check in your luggage with EK and it should be transferred to a MAS flight onto KK. KLIA airport is easy to navigate and a 18.05 flight would be fine and give you time to get a bit of a walk/eat/drink etc.

Of course budget may come into pay and then you could look at Air Asia but that would be a bit of a hassle.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Hi all, thanks again for your tips. Can either of you confirm if Malaysia Airlines domestic flights would depart from the main terminal or would we have to transfer to the LCCT terminal? Thanks again!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,984 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Main terminal, except if you book a firefly flight. That one leaves from subang or sbz, which is a entirely different airport altogether.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Your Flight to Kota Kinabalu will depart from the main terminal. I have done this many times.

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

Thanks again everyone!

8. Re: International - domestic transfer time at KUL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:20