We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one is the best option?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which one is the best option?

We are trying to decide between Traders Hotel and the Shrangri-La hotel. We are Golden Circle members and both hotels seem to offer very similar benefits. Would someone point us in the right direction and if possible list the reasons pertaining to their choice of hotel.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one is the best option?

G'day,

both are equally good hotels.

Nonetheless to assist you making the decision.

Can go onto the locality and what is great around.

Traders- nice close view of Petronas Twin Towers, famed Sky Bar, proximity to KLCC park and Suria KLCC mall(believe they still have a buggy shuttle from hotel to the mall), with Suria KLCC mall, plenty eateries choices. Easy walking distance to KL shopping district-BUkit Bintang vide air conditioned over head pedestrian walkway. Vide Suria KLCC mall to KLCC LRT station.

Shangri-La- few lovely F&Bs (notably Lafite, Zipangu and Shang), closer to KL nightlife(bars and clubs), LRT (Dang Wangi)and monorail (Bukit Nanas) stations are around 5minutes walk away. Close to KL Tower.

Personally for a more tranquil setting, I will opt for Traders.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one is the best option?

We stayed once at traders and all the other trips at Shangrila. I like the Shang pool, feels far from the city (though the heavy traffic is just below) and you can sometimes spot squirrels. It's nice to grab lunch by the pool. You can go for night swim with great view of twin towers. I don't think you'd want go swiming at traders with skybar at night. Room furnishing is better at Shang. Shang handles breakfast crowd better than traders. We never had to wait inline at Shang (even on Xmas and Chinese new yr days). And if I shop at KLCC, I'd rather walk back alone on crowded street than through quiet park at night. Shang used to be much better a few yrs back and slipped abit last yr (they cut down some breakfast choices like ice-cream, GC welcome presentation were better) but it's still ok, esp if it is your first time there. Enjoy your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one is the best option?

I stayed at the Shangri la in a horizon club room in September .we had access to their club lounge which was amazing, the service throughout the hotel was outstanding , breakfast very nice, the pool was good and we walked to the Petronas and klcc shopping it was around 5 to 10 mins . The rooms were very nice and well equipped , the Shangri la I think is nicer , hope that helps.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one is the best option?

Best option is very subjective, but my vote is for Traders. Wonderful location!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,664 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one is the best option?

Shangri-La = 5* luxury hotel in ok location with nice pool area.

Traders = 4* business style hotel in the best location with no pool area as the pool is in the bar!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one is the best option?

Thanks guys for your quick and informative replies. Based on those responses, I think I will opt for the Shangri La. I don't like the thought of swimming in front of a bar of drinkers!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one is the best option?

You have made the right choice Exchef. Have a great trip.

Sean

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one is the best option?

If you swim at night at Shang, remember to generously spray mozzie repellent. We use OFF with DEET. Take care and have a good trip.

9. Re: Which one is the best option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:19