We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

We flew into KL and were picked up by CK, he seemed nice enough, met us with a smile and then went off to get his van. He returned with a clapped out old van, not what we expected but ok, and off we went.

His driving was so erratic is was scary, I even asked him again what his name was, I thought this can't possibly be CK, but it was.

He was driving all over the road, and on a number of occassions he nearly fell asleep at the wheel, my hubby was so nervous that he moved up closer to CK so he could keep him talking so as he wouldnt fall asleep at the wheel.

We had tours booked, but cancelled and ended up with a wonderful driver on our trip back to the airport.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Not so good Harmsy. He has had some good reports so dont know if maybe he was unwell. It is no good when these things happen on Holiday and I think the fact that you have put this on will get the message through that you felt unsafe. CK may answer with his response and at least in KL there are a lot of drivers to choose from. I hope it didn't put you off KL and hope the next trip goes a bit more smoothly.

Sean

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Sad when a popular and well recommended driver does not come up to the mark. We all have bad days, lets just hope it was one of those!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Unusual for him to be like that but do remember (and no offence Malaysian drivers) they are a lot crazier than we are, however it seems to work for them. One thing I have always liked with CK is he is a better driver than taxis we have used.

In Penang we used a driver who drove on the other side of the road and the oncoming traffic just moved out of his way - tbh I would use this company again as they seemed to know what they were doing.

We don't always gel with those recommended so as Sean said there are others. We will be using him for the I think 6th trip this Xmas cheers

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Not sure if you're a first time traveller to S E Asia but driving here is a little chaotic (as Jacks subtly said ... haha). And a little chaotic is putting it mildly.

Don't personally know CK but cabbies here are a force unto themselves! Perhaps just an off day for him? Or that's just the way the driving is. Either way, you're safe although white-knuckled!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

So true Jules - I sometimes lol when been driven somewhere as it can be white-knuckle stuff. But it seems to work for them ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Organised Chaos I call it!. For all the freaky traffic manouveres I have seen in big Asian cities like KL, I have not seen that many accidents.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

That's one reason I will never drive in Malaysia .Drivers are a law unto themselves. They weave in and out of traffic. You need eyes in the back of your head.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Hi, We've travelled quite a bit through Asia and KL's traffic is quite civilised compared to other places we've visited, this is in no means about the roads or the traffic, this is about a guy who was half asleep and was closing his eyes and veering off the road !! I"ve been in vans with lots of crazy drivers overseas and that doesn't bother me at all, I just think he had our lives in his hands and we easy could have ended up in an ambulance instead if not for my hubby keeping him aware.

By the way, my hubby is a gold frequent flyer with Qantas, this was about his 25th trip to KL, and over 100 in Asia, he's been in mad situations, but for him to say maybe we should get him to pull over says it all !

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Youve got us a bit worried now. We have booked CK for a transfer from the airport to Park Royal Serviced suites. I have emailed CK with our concerns and copy/paste of the original post. The response was that they were shocked to read that and reassured us he is a safe and slow driver......hhmmmmm

They also say the van is not new but is clean and well maintained. I dont really want to judge on 1 bad experience among all the good reports but.....................

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer with CK was a nightmare,dangerous driver !!!

Hi grunter

I have to admit I have not used CK so cant be sure , and I think Harmsy has made a valid case as they are experienced travelers , but I know CK has had positive reports also. So with all that I put it down to CK perhaps having an off day and the fact that you have emailed him with your concerns , mean it is even more likely he will be careful with you in the van. I must admit in my experience in KL , once the drivers hit the freeway and can speed a bit , they will. But once you get into central KL then the traffic puts a stop to speeding. Large Asian cities do have a bit of kamikaze driving , but it seems to work well for them. I am confident all will be fine and if you have to lay down the ground rules when you hop in the van then do so. Have a great trip.

Sean