We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

Is a day trip from Sin to KL reasonable? We thought to hire a driver from the hotel in Sin. What is there to see/do in KL? Staying ovet in KL is not an option as we are already paid in Sin for hotel. We are 40-something females. Thx!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

Its a tiny bit more distance than NYC to Washington DC but you have to cross a border both ways so that will make the trip a lot longer, so maybe 5 - 6 hours driving each way. And my guess hiring a car and driver will not be cheap. Depending on date and time of day you can fly SIN - KUL with Airasia (1hr 15 mins) for anywhere from $50 roundtrip plus (maybe even less) or sometimes a multiple of that for a last minute or otherwise full flights. It could be a lot cheaper even for 2 tickets versus car and driver hire. Whether it would save time door to door is another question with check in times and travel to and from airports.

KL is like Singapore a modern SE Asian mega city but is in many ways different. However whether a day trip is worthwhile or not (time and cost) is in my opinion a huge question mark. If you are dying to see Petronas Towers and may never get another chance, or some unusual Islamic architecture or Islamic Arts Museum and may never get another chance then maybe it would be worthwhile for you.

KL is also a shopping walhala but if its worth all that effort for that versus Singapore I am not sure.

New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

Thank you! Any recc's for other day trips?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

I agree with lenny. It is a long way for a day trip , even if you flew. KL is full of things to do and a lot depends on what you enjoy. You may enjoy being pampered at one of KL's great day spas or a trip to Sunway Lagoon water park then there are the traditional things like a day trip to Melaka or the Genting Highlands or even a trip to La Zat cooking school. My mother in law loved the class we booked her in for and found it fun and something she wouldn't normally think of doing. Singapore has a great night safari , but you would be doubling up on a lot of things by going there as well as KL. Have a great trip.

Sean

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

If you definitely want to use a driver rather than flying to KL for the day, Melaka is around 3 hours each way from SIngapore. With its layers indigenous, Portuguese, Dutch and English history and an ongoing Chinese presence it is a very interesting place to visit.

5. Re: day trip to kuala lumpur from Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:18