We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Recommendations

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm travelling to KL early January for 6days and am looking for some recommendations as to where's best to eat, whether it be and specific restaurant or an area of town I'm happy to hear all.

I really want to try as much as possible, so if there is any dishes that have to be on my to do list please let me know.

I know taste is subjective and that I won't have time to try everything so as much help as you can give is truly appreciated.

So far I've been told I must visit:

Medan Ikan Bakar Gerai No. 3

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Recommendations

What other research have you done...have you actually browsed the forum. This is such a common question. If you are on a ph or tablet you might not realize there are FAQs available on the full version which covers nearly everything you could possibly need to know.

At night you should try one of the restaurants on Jalan Alor, by day the food court at Lot 10 has a multitude of options. At the top of the forum you can also search for recommended restaurants by cuisine and location.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Recommendations

Duplicate edited.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 03:55
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Recommendations

Food KL Glorious Food. You will be spoiled for choice in KL and as TN said check out the FAQs. Can confirm that Lot 10 is great as is the food court at The Pavilion shopping centre. Depending on budget there are some great options including KL tower if only for the view as the food whilst passable is secondary to the view. Fine Dining options are aplenty as well in locations like Starhill Gallery and some of the 5 star Hotels. Have fun eating your way around KL.

Sean

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Recommendations

Jalan Alor- hawker street

Lot 10-hawker stalls within a mall

All malls will have plenty of eateries and food courts

If ur not comfortable with hawker stalls but want to try malay cuisine then i recommend madame kwans outlets at suria mall/mid valley megamall/pavilion mall to sample some laksa, nasi goreng, ais kachang etc

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Recommendations

Your qestion is really to wide to answer meaningfully. Its like asking what are the best places to eat in new york.

Narrow it down somewhat by price, location, cuisine, experience, view ...etc

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Recommendations

HI,

so you have the grilled fish(ikan bakar) at Bellamy Road.

Now, next, bak kut teh- can suggest trying it at Pao Xiang on Level 6 of Pavilion mall.

Then of course our infamous roti canai and teh tarik- if you are visiting Central Market - pop by Restoran Yusoof dan Zakhir.

Then as others had suggested, Hutong food court in Lot 10. They even have the infamous Macau (Tai Lei Loi Kei) pork chop bun.

And do try the nasi khandar / nasi briyani- though if you picked the big prawn, chicken drumstick, prepare to pay a bit more.

If you are at Suria KLCC, a little stroll to Lorong Yap Kwan Seng, and have fish head curry at Restoran Kampung(Kg) Pandan.

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Recommendations

Keep these food recommendations coming please, more please.

Can anyone suggest a good place for roti canai around Butik Bintang area. Have had it at a wonderful Malay restaurant in Sydney, and want more of this wonderful food, in it's home town.

Thanks for any ideas.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Recommendations

Kevin, we had very cheap, local roti on the street running parallel to BB, just behind Fahrenheit 88 where we were staying - one of the locals directed us there. It has a big yellow signboard and they serve coffee from carts on the road to passers by, and the restaurant/cafe is just below street level. We had 6 different roti, 2 x coffee & 4 juice/poppers for about RM18-21. You may need to brush up on the local names, as I'm not sure how much english they spoke there. Its amazing what a difference getting off the main street makes - enjoy! There was also another place, parallel to Jalan Alor (in the opposite direction to BB), but a bit more of a vague to describe how to get there - from Jn Alor, turn left in Changkat Bukit Bintang, then left at the 7-11, walk about 100m and look for another yellow signboard on your left :)

Good luck - I love roti......and RM1-3 beats the hell out of the Au$6 I paid for roti tissue today :(

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Recommendations

Hi, also don't forget to try Satay (meat or chiken griill), come with set empit rice, cucumber, onion, gravy..very delicious.

Malay famous for breakfast we called Nasi Lemak serve with Sambal Ikan Bilis (a bit hot) dan water "Teh Tarik"..must try it!!

Malaysia has many states and every state there is advantage cooking like Johor(famous with Laksa Johor), Kelantan (Nasi Kerabu), Terengganu (nasi dagang), Negeri sembilan (masak lemak cili api=hot dish), Penang (famous with nasi kandar), and more food that is attractive for every state.

Malaysia has 14 states all. cannot be done for try all in 6 days..

In Bukit Bintang area KLCC area a lot now fast food and common restaurant like McDonald, KFC, Starbuck, Dome and so on...and also alot of foreigner food like arabian, korean food, japaness food.

Because of Malaysia has various races, namely Melayu Chiness and Indian, you can try food like nasi lemak, yong tau fu and tosei as well.

Welcome to Malaysia, hope your vacatioan will be the best moment that you will never forget.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Recommendations

Hi,

and not forgetting, Madam Kwan and Little Penang.

Madam Kwan has presence in Pavilion,whereas for Little Penang- Suria KLCC.

Little Penang serves all the galore of well known Penang food- assam laksa, curry mee, char kay teow, Siamese laksa(but if remembering only on weekends).

Madam Kwan has mixed of Penang,and even Indonesian other local fare. Great signature dishes are their nasi lemak and nasi bojari.

Re post # 7, well, you could pop to Berjaya Plaza(close to Imbi monorail station- opposite of Berjaya TImes Square),and have it at Al-Esfan,this place is 24hours.

Then as mentioned by @TN007- many more,like SK Corner in Tengkat Tong Shin(that's the road parallel to Jalan Alor).