We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue fever

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue fever

Despite covering myself with deet I have been bitten and since there is a rise in Dengue Fever In Kuala Lumpur I Am getting paranoid. Are all stings dangerous I don' t want this to spoil my experience here.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue fever

Yes you are getting paranoid. Not all stings are dangerous, only those by Aedes Mosquito. According to WHO, with proper medical attention the fatalities as a result of Dengue can be below 1%.

I get bites every week. So far none resulted in Dengue so far. The Aedes mosquito seem to be active around sunrise and sunset so do pay particular attention during those periods.

www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue fever

Thank you for your reassurance, it is my first time in Malaysia and I will be touring around for 2 weeks so I will enjoy my time and get used to the smell of Eau de Deet and try to avoid those little stingers.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue fever

Malaysia is the place I have been bitten least on Holiday, I have had much worse bites in Lanzarote and Majorca ! Mozzies love me usually & in some places we have been I have been covered in horrible swollen bites, Malaysia gave me no such bother.... I am not suggesting you wont get bit at all but I wouldnt let it worry you.

I have started to use Autan Multi Bug now, thats a deet alternative, smells much nicer, maybe take a bottle of that alongside your deet & give it a try one day, its about £5 on Amazon.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue fever

Not every mossie bite carries the dengue virus ... the Aedes mossie needs to have bitten someone who has dengue and will then pass the virus to another human. And yes even though dengue is currently prevalent in Malaysia, the chance of you contracting the virus is quite remote as you're only here for such a short time.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue fever

Well, you've been bitten so there isn't much you can do about it other than to watch out for signs of dengue fever and continue to enjoy your holiday :-D

I read somewhere that it only bite at sunset around 6-7pm. But everytime my kid gets a bite I'd get upset and I would be wary for next 1-2 weeks.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,509 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue fever

Even if you have been bitten by a dengue-carrier mosquito you will not automatically have dengue if your immune system is strong.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue fever

Mosquitoes in malaysia obviously, but in KL, apparently no dengue so far - more on the towns less crowded. Just make sure to wear long sleeves / pants at dusk and dawn, you should be fine :)

Enjoy your trip!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue fever

There are certain suburbs in KL/Klang Valley that have become dengue hotspots-I live in one but so far haven't gotten it.

If in doubt-any sign of fever go for a check up in the clinic. Hospitals in KL now are on standby for any dengue cases.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue fever

I visited KL in June. The papers where full of articles about the rise in Dengue fever. a 300% increase and the season has not yet started. I would be taking all precautions as I was told by a local that unlike the malaria mosquito the dengue mozzie will bite ant time of day.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue fever

After first night of sleep in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur I got bitten by a mosquito between like 6 and 7 am. Killed it after but didn't have a look at the mosquito, but the bite doesn't itch and I saw a tiger mosquito later downstairs in the lobby.

Ok, so Im super paranoid about this and its hard to get rid of my anxiety. What I can't find is where the actual hotspots in Kuala Lumpur are and if you can test during incubation time. I do realize i am probably overworried, but then again these sort of phobia's aren't very rational anyways, and there's obviously odds considering that i have been bitten.

Anyone knows about the hotspots and eventual best place for checkups?