We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KL Dress Code

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
KL Dress Code

May sound a silly question - stopping at KL for 3 days enroute to Bali so casual shorts & T-shirts packed, but whats the dress code for the restaurants in KL (shorts OK or do I need to pack some more "formal" things) ?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KL Dress Code

Certain restaurant required T shirt and long pant will do but with some restaurants short OK.

Anyway over here extremely flexible.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KL Dress Code

I have only worn shorts and tee shirt anywhere in K L so does wife. never had a problem. I only wear long pants on the plane as I have had some very cold flights

Hervey

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KL Dress Code

Only problem you had over here is visiting mosque that required you to cover up your whole body .

No showing of exposed body part.

Long sleeves shirt and long pant in very loose fitting garment.

This is the conservative place where you really need to strictly adhered to the dress code

Way out is to opt out the visit to this religious place.

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
234 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KL Dress Code

Hi, we doing same, staying in KL for 5 nights then off to Bali for two weeks. Anyway re dress code was wondering for shoe wear, thongs be ok in Kuala Lumpur for restaurants ? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KL Dress Code

Most places would be fine with thongs , but maybe up the standards with a pair of sandals or similar to be sure. As above the dress codes in KL are pretty relaxed , especially for males and religious places are the most likely to enforce a dress code. Have fun

Sean

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KL Dress Code

Everywhere in KL is fine with shorts and shirt, maybe some plimsolls. But beware that it rains very heavily in KL, so most kind of footwear will be get damp if you have to walk on the damp pavements afterwards (hopefully you were sheltering during the storm).

Also, humidity makes you sweat, so blue and red are no nos for shirts, as your sweat patches will show through.

7. Re: KL Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20