We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

I know that security is tight at KLIA and there is a final security screening at the gate. I've had water confiscated there in the past but I wonder if I'm allowed to take liquids through at all? My bags are heavy and I'd like to carry some liquids in my hand baggage to reduce my checked baggage weight. Everything will be under 100ml and total will be less than 1000ml.

Will I be allowed to bring those liquids through?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 14:57
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

You need to follow your airlines rules on that.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/…

This is for malaysia airlines

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

The only issue I had a few weeks ago was that I had one water bottle that wasn't sealed (I bought in the airport and started drinking it) and they asked me to throw this away or drink this as it wasn't allowed on the plane.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

akzah, yes, that's what has happened to me a few times, I've learned to carry an empty bottle and get it filled with water once I'm on the plane.

Thanks maic for the link. I'm flying with Malaysia and those guidelines are the same as for everywhere else it's just that KLIA is the only airport I've had water confiscated at the gate so I was wondering if they had banned liquids entirely.

I think my best option is to put the liquids/pastes in my checked baggage and see if it's accepted (it will be over weight). If not I'll have to transfer it to my hand baggage and hope for the best.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

Malaysia has a weight limit of 30kg. You must be having very heavy luggage.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

Hi,

re post #4,

as mentioned in the link provided in post 2

" Containers which have a total capacity greater than 100 millilitres/grams will not be permitted through the screening point, even if they are only partially filled"

your liquids/pastes(or gel) are allowed thru screening points provided it adheres to LAG stipulated restrictions for hand carry luggage.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

maic, I'm travelling with a boxed up bicycle so I'm over the 30kg limit.

I was assured at check in at KLIA that the 100ml per item/1000ml total rule applies. I managed to keep my pastes/liquids in my checked luggage so no problem in the end.

8. Re: Urgent Question re Security at KLIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19