We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First holiday to KL

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First holiday to KL

I am planning to visit Kuala Lumpur for the first time at the end of April. Can someone tell me how much it costs to take a taxi from the airport to the city centre? I'll be staying at the Shangri-La hotel. Is taking the train cheaper/quicker?

I also wanted advice on airport security following the sad story about the missing Malaysia Airlines plane. I am nervous to fly with them so any reassurance you can provide would be much appreciated!

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
31 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First holiday to KL

The train is the fastest and it cost around 30RM (I usually use the train) Taxi will charge you around 100RM.

I suggest you take the train to the main station (KL Sentral) then when you arrive get taxi voucher then head to the hotel from the main station as well.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First holiday to KL

How many people travelling?

If you are alone, then take the KLIA expres train from KLIA to KL sentral for MYR 35. You will reach the city centre in 25 min. There, take a small escalator up toward the exit gate (in front of hilton-lemeridien hotels) and buy a prepaid taxi voucher for your hotel. It should cost about MYR 12 or 13.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First holiday to KL

Hi Tam1985, fellow nervous flyer here. We are flying to KL with Malaysia Airlines at end of this month, I cant pretend this terribly sad incident hasnt rattled my nerves and made me more anxious than normal, it has. I am determined not to let it get to me though, we flew Malaysia last year and the flights were superb, comfy planes, Great IFE and super service.

Look forward to your trip :-) x

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First holiday to KL

Hi

Until the authorities finally find out what has actually so tragically happened to flight MH307 I think that you will know that airport security will be as good as it can be. You can rest assured that since MH307 so sadly went missing that many thousand of MH flights have flown. Until the facts are known we can only guess if was aircraft, security or something else. God speed to the missing.

Can someone tell me how much it costs to take a taxi from the airport to the city centre?

I'll be staying at the Shangri-La hotel. Is taking the train cheaper/quicker?

A] A taxi from the airport to the city is 75myr for a budget taxi or 102myr for a roomier premier taxi. If there are 2 of you a premier taxi is actually quicker than the train and about the same cost (train ticket plus taxi to hotel) as by the time you get to the train station, wait for the next train, 28min journey to KL Sentral, then walk to the taxi stand, and get the taxi . . . .

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablets], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

FAQ Traveller guides

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Airport/City cost/options tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-s301/Kuala-Lu…

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First holiday to KL

Thanks all for your helpful advice. I have booked my tickets now and can't wait to go. I think I will go for the taxi. There will be two of us and I think after a long flight, I'd probably just want to jump into a taxi. If I am correct, the taxi fare will be roughly £20 which seems reasonable to me.

I decided to book my flights with Emirates as it was cheaper and I have flown with them before and like their service. I know it's not Malaysia Airlines fault that the tragedy has happened but as you can imagine, it feels a bit nerve wracking to fly with them at this present moment.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 20:15
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First holiday to KL

I've done it in Hotel provided limos, taxis (big and small) and now trying to do a super budget trip will hop from LCCT to KL Sentral using a combo of Bus and KLIA Ekpress train.

Taxis were about RM100 for the Blue Premium ones, the little crappy cabs can be negotiable, but if you use them either agree on meter price OR a price much lower than RM100, pull it out at the start of the trip and be very assertive that you will pay no more, nah scratch that - stick to things with meters or Blue Cabs....

I look forward to doing the KLIA Ekpress etc as it's considerably cheaper for a solo traveller with minimal baggage.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First holiday to KL

Cheapest way from lcct is bus direct to kl sentral. Is around 10mr, then monorail from there depending on which hotel you are going to.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First holiday to KL

Can't comment on taxi cost as we had transfer included in holiday cost. We have just completed 4 flights with Malaysia Airlines, having woke up the morning of the first flight to hear about the missing flight MH370. All flights, as expected, were fine, and I couldn't fault their service. As said by a previous poster until the plane is found, we are not going to know exactly what happened, so please do not let it put you off. I admit I felt nervous flying that first flight (12hours LHR to KLIA), but not because we were flying Malaysia Airlines, just the flying in general.. As I do everytime!

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First holiday to KL

In my opinion, you can choose from KLIA transit to LCCT (train) for RM 12.50 and then from LCCT transit to KL Sentral (bus) only for RM 10, total RM 22.50. (around 1 hour)

You may refer to https:/…

Or you can take express train from KLIA to KL Sentral only for RM 35. (around 28 mins)

You may refer to www.kliaekspres.com/plan-buy/fares-passes/

Shangri-la Hotel is nearby train station (Monorail) but nearer to Bukit Nanas station compared to Raja Chulan Station.

So you can take monorail from KL Sentral station to Bukit Nanas station for RM 2.10.

You may refer to …myrapid.com.my/…rail

Yet, if you refuse to take train or walking, you may take a taxi / cab. (Blue taxi costs more expensive)

From KLIA to your hotel, it will cost you around RM 80.

From KL Sentral to your hotel, it will cost you around RM 20.

Mentioned in this post
Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Shangri-La Hotel Kuala...
7,536 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
10. Re: First holiday to KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:33