We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8.5hr layover in KL

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
8.5hr layover in KL

I have looked through the forums and have seen the answers, but yet still require validation, so I apologise for asking already asked and answered questions.

I am flying from Australia to South Korea, arriving at 1620 KL time and departing KL at 0050.

Both myself and travel partner have Australian Passports.

Given the 8.5 hour stay, we thought it best not to spend the time in the airport!

My questions - Is it correct I can get a Transit without Visa? Is this a length process and does it cost money?

If I have an 8.5 hr layover, and I am flying in and out via AirAsia, is their sufficient time/sufficient justification to go into KL, given, hr for immigration, 90mins in at that time and needing to be back early? (or is that the same as asking how long is a piece of string as it is dependent on the individual) [fortunately the new terminal should be open by then so it may be a tad less boring]

Thanks for your opinions :D

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8.5hr layover in KL

Is your flight a fly-thru or 2 separate bookings?

I have not looked at Air Asia's website to see if they offer fly-thru on this route or not which will make a difference to the answer to your post.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8.5hr layover in KL

I called Airasia and they said it is flythru i.e. no luggage pick up in KL, so hoping they are accurate and correct!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,933 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8.5hr layover in KL

You are Austalian you do not need a visa and get a 90 day permit to stay even if you are there for 6 hours!

As you are on a fly-thru ticket you will clear immigraiton in around 20-30mins, then 1 hour to the city. You can then be back at LCCTerminal 90mins before your flight and leave the city 1 hour before that . . . gives you around 5 hours in the city or somewhere else.

If you are not on fly thru you will need 60mins to clear immigration and then be back at the airport 2-3 hours before the next flight. Just reduces the time in the city.

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phones], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Airport Long transits tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c130480/Kuala…

4. Re: 8.5hr layover in KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 08:19