We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel location for shopping?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Best Hotel location for shopping?

Could anyone recommend the best hotel to stay in that would be literally alongside shopping malls.

I am travelling to KL with my hubby who hates shopping so was hoping to get a hotel that was linked to one of the shopping malls or at least close to save me having to get taxis and hubby worrying when I go out shopping alone.

thanks in advance.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,709 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Hi

it does depend on your budget, but the area you need to look is Bukit Bintang! Bukit Bintang is shopping and eating paradise, so many malls, shops, restaurants etc. Sungai Wang / BB Plaza [500 shops and a real Malaysian treat of all sorts of bargains hidden away more an old fashioned Asian mall. You only know when you move from one to the other when the floor colour changes], Fahrenheit 88 [was KL Plaza], Times Square [which also has a theme park, Hotel with the Mall], Pavilion [Mid to top end shops and also the best food court which is reasonably priced offering a great range of stalls, very good mix of restaurants and eateries, plus a supermarket], Lot 10 [now called 10 Hutong also has a supermarket and a street / hawkers style food court], Starhill Gallery [very top end but some very nice reasonably priced restaurants], Plaza Low Yat [IT mall], YTL Plaza, BB Park, Imbi Plaza for shopping, plus there are many open fronted shops which offer some great bargains and are identical to those in Chinatown. Then there is Jalan Alor / Changkat Bukit Bintang [turn down by KFC opposite BB Plaza] is a whole street of restaurants / bars, and a great place for street food, plus many restaurants along Bukit Bintang. Opposite the Ritz-Carlton is a car park on Jalan Imbi that is also a hawkers centre at night as well as coffee shops and restaurants; some smaller eating places on the small alley ways that run between Bukit Bintang and Jalan Imbi.

Bukit Bintang is a 15min walk using the covered a/c walk way from Suria KLCC / KL Convention Centre directly to beside the Pavilion Mall or 20 min walk from the base of KL Menara, or a 5min ride on the monorail from , there are Bukit Nanas.

Now the hotels. 'Best' is always a personal choice based on preferences, budget, style etc.

Berjaya Times Square - over Times Square

Park Royal - opposite Sungei Wang, next to Lot10, just round the corner to Fahrenheit 88, Pavilion and Starhill [this is the 'best' hotel for us]

Grand Millennium - next to Pavilion just about opposite Fahrenheit 88.

Westin opposite Pavilion

Ritz-Carlton and Marriott adjoining Starhill, and opposite Pavilion

Capitol - just in front of Sungei Wang

Melia - opposite Times Square

However, you could walk between each of these within 5-10mins!!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 08:22
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Hi,

yep..the shopping district of KL- BUkit Bintang.

JUst a minor amend to typo- Capitol is infront of BUkit BIntang plaza (and just a stone throw away from Low Yat Plaza-for all things electronics and gadgets),and not SUngai Wang.

In front of Sungai Wang,well it side facade facing Sungai Wang,and front is towards Lot 10 is Royal hotel(fka-Coronade)

linked to shopping mall-well the Novotel hotel, just out of hotel,then an entrance to the elevated air conditioned walkway into Pavilion mall.

Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott are both linked to StarHill gallery shopping mall. Westin is just next to JW Marriott ,only separated by a litte lane.

Further up from JW Marriott on the same row,are also Piccolo hotel, Fahrenheit Suites

Opposite of Ritz Carlton is another hotel- Dorsett Regency.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,727 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

We like the location of the Novotel. Virtually next door to Pavillion Mall which has my favourite food courts. Also has a few nice upmarket restaurants which we enjoy.

Tommo

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
372 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

I also love the location of the Novotel..a few steps away from the Pavillion and a short walk to both Bukit Bintang and the KLCC mall.

Price is also reasonable and they have a very flexible child policy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed guide for me. I really appreciate it.

Do you mean Park Royal suites or Park Royal Hotel?

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Thanks for your advice.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Thanks for your advice.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

G'day,

guess reference to Park Royal Hotel at corner of Imbi and Sultan Ismail road.

PRS is behind Istana Hotel,off the main throughfare road of Jalan Raja Chulan.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

I suggest the Ascott Kuala Lumpur, it's close to the LRT and you can get taxis easily as well. Petronas is just around the corner too.

Stourport-on-Severn...
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel location for shopping?

Was there June last year and stayed at Traders. Absolutely recommend as the most beautiful area, right opposite PETRONAS Towers and Suria Shopping centre. Lovely park in front, easy to get to Pavilion Mall, Bukit Bintang, etc. Its also away from all the traffic noise.