We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia during ramadam

adelaide, australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia during ramadam

Hi we will touring around Malaysia all of July.

As this is ramadam how will day to day activities be affected for us?

We expect to be out sightseeing most days and some of the tours we have booked include lunch will this be allowed?

Any experiences of touring during past ramadams would be helpful.

Thanks

Daz

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

Your holiday will not be affected much by the fasting month. Though some restaurants & eateries operated by the Muslims will be closed, there are others restaurants that will be open. No restriction whatsoever in term of having meals during the day

adelaide, australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

thanks for that. we dont want to offend anyone unintentionally.

here in the west we dont ever get told all the truth about islam.

i have been told conflicting things about eating and drinking during ramadam.

some people have told me you must not even drink water from sun up to sun down, others have told me that you can eat and drink so long as it is in private.

Daz

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,785 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

The "rules" only apply if you are Muslim. And if you're ill, pregnant, travelling, very old or very young etc you can break them. Basically anyone observing the fast won't eat from sun up to sun down, but can still shop for and prepare food. You can also cook but if you have to taste the food you mustn't swallow.

The popular food to break the fast with at the end of the day is dates, so you'll see them on sale everywhere.

I've noticed that here on Penang the "going out to eat" rush is much quieter until the sun goes down and then woosh - the motor bikes reappear!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

Also applies if you happen to look like a malay or middle eastern..

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

During the ramadan month, you can look forward to the ramadan bazaars, in Malay language, you call it pasar ramadan. Here you can see delicious spread of food to buy. The stalls start setting up at 4.30pm and open till 7pm as the muslims begin to break fast. It will usually be crowded and the general rule is not to openly snack when you are browsing around the ramadan markets as the crowds will be mostly muslims who will have yet to break fast before 7 or 7.30pm.

vkeong.com/2012/…

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

I love the mth of Ramadan, hotels are on sale, they have special Ramadan dinner buffets and less people holidaying. I do feel bad when the Muslim staff serves us food at hotels during the day b'cos I know they're fasting. But they are so professional about it.

In places like KL, Penang, Malacca etc you won't really feel the effects of it. But one yr we drove from Singapore to Kuantan (couldn't resist the hotel promo) during Ramadan and I made the mistake of not packing snacks. We're so used to stopping by and buying them along the way. We had good lunch in Mersing but every little town we passed by after that all the food places were closed so we arrived Kuantan (in the east coast of west malaysia) pretty hungry.

adelaide, australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

springrose thanks for the link the market looks like our sort of place.

Daz

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

dazAdelaide, We holidayed last year in the last week of july, the first problem we encountered was we arrived approx.3pm on air asia on a friday and it was the start of a long weekend in K/L and the traffic was terrible, with city people trying to exit K/L and country people trying to enter K/L it took us until 8.30pm to get to the Seri Pacific hotel ,each time our driver tried a different route it was the same result traffic gridlock, when we finally arrived at our hotel it was packed to the rafters with people celebrating ramadam. we settled for room service for our dinner.

The next day I inquired if we could make a reservation for dinner that night, we were told they were booked out but we could come down at 5pm but would have to be out before 6pm, they were not joking, at approx. 5.45pm the staff were standing close by waiting for us to finish, we encountered no problems on our tours with all venues open and food courts in the shopping centres open.

So my advice would be, if you are planning to dine out in the evenings at restaurants in hotels or other locations you will need to book well in advance as I was informed by our hotel that during ramadam every restaurant is generally booked out each night.

Enjoy K/L

Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
466 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

There is a great pasar ramadan in Tanah Rata up in Cameron. We take most of our evening meals there because of the great variety of delicious dishes and the rather poor food quality elsewhere in the Highlands. Love it!

10. Re: Malaysia during ramadam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16