We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a long stopover for my family

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
a long stopover for my family

Hi, my family of five (3 kids aged 4,8,10) have a9hours stopover at KL. We are flying with air Asia so I take it will be at the new terminal. Would anyone have any ideas of how to fill 9 hours? We fly in at 11am and fly out at 8pm. Should we go to a hotel and rest or just hang around the airport? Do hotels offer day rates? Are there cheap massage places at the airport? Thank you in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Australia
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a long stopover for my family

I would probably suggest a hotel - I did a dummy booking for the Tune and it's $50AU for a night - I don't know how their day rooms work so maybe give them an email to find out http://tunehotels.com/au/en/our-hotels/klia2/

9hrs even though I like KLIA airport and you can get between that and KLIA2 for 2myr each even for me that would be too long let alone for 3 little kids.

Normally I would suggest go by KLIAexpress in to the city but not sure what your kids would be like by then especially since you would of been already on a night flight. If they are the type who are fine then you could always catch the train in - look up day trip or something similar. If you do want to do this I am happy to come back with some suggestions :)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,435 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a long stopover for my family

Hi

Should we go to a hotel and rest or just hang around the airport?

A] well only you know your family and if a relax by the pool or a trip into town will be up their street!

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablet apps], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

FAQ Traveller guides

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Airport/City Time tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c146437/Kua…

-> FAQ Airport/City cost/options tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-s301/Kuala-Lu…

-> FAQ Airport Hotels tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c130145/Kuala…

-> FAQ Airport Long transits tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c130480/Kuala…

-> FAQ Airport Terminals tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c138674/Kuala…

-> FAQ Time between flights tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c160477/Kua…

-> FAQ Transiting at KUL KLIA1 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k3…

-> FAQ Visa for Malaysia tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293951-c142389/Mal…

--- SIGHTSEEING ETC ----

-> Petronas Towers Tour! tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-d317521/Kuala…

-> FAQ KL Popular sights tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298570-Activiti…

You don't say if you have to check in again for the second flight - this will change the timings.

Arriving at 11am it will be 1130am when you are ready to leave the airport if you don't have to collect your bags, and probably nearer midday if you do.

There is not much around the airport. Most hotels offer a day room subject to availability. Sama Sama is the nicest and has a pool. Tune is cheap and cheerful!

You could head to the city, you would be there by 12:30/1pm ish, then you could go to the PETRONAS Towers, enjoy the sights. But you will need to allow 1 hour to get back to the airport, and then another 2 hours if you have to check in again, or 1 hour if you have fly thru tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a long stopover for my family

Thank you to you both and jacks for doing a dummy booking. I think we may go to a hotel to relax as it will be a very long 24 hours for us x

Australia
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a long stopover for my family

That's ok :) I know how grumpy I get after 24hrs so I can just imagine the little ones ;)

Not sure if it has a pool but even the room is preferable just to have a shower, relax even sleep :D

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,435 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a long stopover for my family

Tune doesn't have a pool, but the Sama Sama and Concorde Inn KLIA do. Both are not far from KLIA2!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a long stopover for my family

There are a couple of B&Bs at Sepang (Jawadene Suites and Rumah Putih) just 15-20 mins from KLIA/2 - each have pools and rates start around US$60 (from the looks, Sama Sama is $160!). We are booked in to Jawadene for our upcoming stopover as hubby doesn't want to venture back into the city. I'm sure if you email these they will take care of you.

7. Re: a long stopover for my family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15