We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

I have just been contacted by my Credit Card Company to say that my card has been used over 50 times in the USA. They checked with me to see if I had made any bookings, Payments were stopped in USA. On a holiday last month I used my card only twice at two hotels and nowhere else, so I can presume someone at either of the two hotels are working a swindle. As you know when you check in at a hotel you are asked for your credit card. You have to do this. Now there are only two hotels that this could have occurred at one in K.L and the other in Penang.

Thank goodness for a good credit card company that was on the ball.

Hervey.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

It could be true and it might not be. It could of been from using your card anywhere or just the fact that card numbers can be cloned.

I have always used my credit card at my hotel in KL - I am fairly careful where else I use it and even here in Adelaide I watch we're my card is- never leave it out of my sight. Even here in oz your details can be skimmed - we have had a few ATMs recently compromised.

Luckily credit cards will reimburse if that happens (or I hope they do) - realistically can happen anywhere unless you don't use credit cards. But then you have the issue of carrying cash problem ;)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

Hi Jack24, Only used the card at two Hotels, nowhere else, and do not use it in Australia, only for automatic payments, never use it at ATMs.

Hervey

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

Do you mind saying which hotels? Do the reviews say anything?

I have seen that Malaysia has a cloning problem so hence why I am fairly careful where I use them - but tbh it can happen still.

At least your bank took care of it and lucky they did it after your trip so you were able to have access, hope you had a great trip :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

does your card have a security chip?

5. Re: Warning on credit card deposit at hotels.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:16