We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

Hello experts,

I'd be grateful if some of you could help me out here and give me a few pointers on KL. My wife and I will be in KL twice for a day each, for a grand total of 2 days.

1st time- arrive at KLIA2 in the morning around 10 and leave from the same airport around 11 at night

2nd time- arrive at KLIA2 in the afternoon around 3.30, stay the night in KL and leave from the same airport around 1.30 the next afternoon.

Given our time constraints, the idea is to relax over great budget-friendly street food (seafood, pork mainly) while spending some time at/near the Petronas Twin Towers at night.

I have a few questions.

1. Where should we stay? Near KLIA2 or somewhere near the food districts? Can you please give me some hotel/area recommendations? We ideally would want to avoid staying in a crowded place.

2. Jalan Alor, Kampung Baru or Chinatown? Any other recommendations? The idea is to have authentic local seafood and pork. Novelties like frog legs will also be much appreciated.

3. What is the most efficient and relatively inexpensive way to get around? Metro?

4. Anything else we should be looking at doing/eating?

Thanks in advance,

Tanay

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,747 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

1. Where should we stay? Near KLIA2 or somewhere near the food districts? Can you please give me some hotel/area recommendations? We ideally would want to avoid staying in a crowded place.

A} really your shout. Given you want to see and do things then being in the city - and there is no food district. Hotels will depend on your budget. Bukit Bintang / Chinatown are as good as any areas as they have the food and transport. If you want to avoid staying in a crowded place, then Kuala Lumpur might not be for you, as it is crowded and busy.

2. Jalan Alor, Kampung Baru or Chinatown? Any other recommendations? The idea is to have authentic local seafood and pork. Novelties like frog legs will also be much appreciated.

A] these are the easiest for such a short stay.

3. What is the most efficient and relatively inexpensive way to get around? Metro?

A] walk, monorail and train

4. Anything else we should be looking at doing/eating?

A] have a read about things to do and what to eat. The TA Things to do is a good place to start. tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g298570-Activi… and tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g298570-Kuala_…

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

1) KLIA2 airport terminal is far from the city, nearly 60km. I would rather stay in the city, even though it may be a "busy place", rather than at the airport which has nothing other than the shopping area attached to the airport.

2) If you are looking for pork, cross Kampung Baru out of your list, as it is a Malay Muslim enclave in the city, and eating pork is against muslim religious beliefs.

3) No metro. Here, you have buses, the monorail, LRT or KTM Komuter trains. Or cheapest of all, walking.

4) Your time is really too limited to consider doing anything much else other than eat or shop.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

1. Stay in the city. Try Tune Hotel KL. (NOT tune hotel KLIA2)

2. Kampung Baru no pork (try their famous Nasi Lemak, go google it)

j2kfm.com/nasi-lemak-ct-garden-kampung-baru-…

Chinatown (try the famous super spicy Portuguese Grill

kyspeaks.com/2011/…

Jalan Alor (try the frog porridge and the grilled chicken wing)

jordantan.com/2012/…

j2kfm.com/wong-ah-wah-chicken-wings-jalan-al…

4. Anything else we should be looking at doing/eating

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

Considering you have only 1 night in KL, the best option would be to stay at the Jalan Bukit Bintang area. Try Federal Hotel, Capitol Hotel which should be reasonable. That's a few minutes walk from Jalan Alor where the whole street is lined with hawker food. The bukit bintang area is also the main mall stretch so you can walk everywhere there. Forget about Kampung Bahru because it's not that easy to find a whole stretch of food there. Not exactly safe at night there either. If you want to visit Petronas Twin towers at night, you can always take the taxi there and back to your hotel - about 8mins ride away with no traffic.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

Thanks for taking time out and helping out guys. Really appreciate that.

I finally went with Hotel Sentral, thinking the Sentral station has direct connectivity to KLIA2 as well as pretty much every spot worth checking out. Decent choice I hope?

Australind...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

hi tanay :-)

for the hotel... my friend stayed there, it is an okay budget hotel with good rates and many things close by, however it can get noisy so ask for a high level room away fom the street and not too close to the lift for the best night sleep or visit a pharmacy and pick up some earplugs :-)

as far as activities goes i would concentrate on day activities your first visit and evening activities on the second visit.

if it is your first time in KL i would suggest a half day tour, or hop-on hop-off bus for the first day, this will give some insight into KL's past, present and future, great photo opportunities and not take up your whole day, from there a trip to central market, walk around Chinatown and an early dinner and shopping at Petaling street before heading back to the hotel to grab your things and take the klia express to klia2... BEWARE 11pm can sneak up on you quickly in KL :-)

below is a link for hop-on hop-off bus

http://www.myhoponhopoff.com/

for a unique experience in KL with a nice local seafood dinner in a fishing village you could take a fireflies tour on your second visit, you will need a driver owing to your arrival time.

there is information for fireflies and drivers in the tripadvisor FAQ section.

You will likely arrive back at KL 11ish PM and if you are a night owl like me leaves you time to have your driver stop by places such as petronas twin towers for photos and drop you off for a late night supper of grilled sate, chicken wings and i guess... if you like.... some frogs legs porridge at jalan alor :-)

p.s. many restaurants here cooking pork, as said before kampung baru for cheap local malay food such as nasi lemak, great rendang curries and more local malay and halal dishes... no pork :-)

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Imbi Market was the best street food we experienced on a previous trip and where we will be breakfasting every day on our next.

Imbi Market | Address: Pasar Rakyat, 8 Jalan Melati, Pudu, 55100 Kuala Lumpur | Opening hours: Daily 7am – 11am | GPS Coordinates: 3.143708,101.718718 | Non-halal

8. Re: Jalan Alor or Kampung Baru?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:16